I finally got adb to work on my pc! Ran the java sdk installer as administrator then installed the android sdk then the adb usb driver for Cruz. Followed the instructions on the Cruz Reader (sticky thread for rooting etc). Some of the paths on the command prompt were different on my android sdk, adb was in platform-tools instead of tools. The text below (in the box) is the procedure that I used.
What I am able to do after rooting. Will update as I go along:
1. Installed root explorer - created a zip of bloatware that I did not need and then deleted the .apks.
2. Installed superuser without any issues.
3. Was able to install Titanium Backup without root but now Titanium Backup is able to get root access, but I get an error, and only Titanium Backup files show as being able to be backed up but nothing else.
4. I was able to modify the build.prop file on the device and change the sdk number from a 5 to an 8. Then I was able to install the live wallpaper picker and some live wallpapers. I tried out some...the smaller the better, galactic core is just too slow.
5. SetCPU does not work. The processor of my tablet is not listed.
Start the Android Sdk Manager located @ C:android-sdk-windowssdk manager.exe I don't know why this is necessary but my device is rooted now so not complaining. Connect your device via USB. Now, hold the Windows Key and press R. Type cmd in the box and press Enter. [color=red]For macintosh load the terminal and drag the folder with adb in it onto the terminal window. Follow the path that is pasted with /adb shell. So it would be like this android-sdk/tools/adb shell. You will then get the command prompt.[/color] In the Command window, type cd c: and hit enter. Now type cd android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools and hit enter. Now here is where you will begin rooting the device. Type the following adb devices I did this to make sure the device was listed adb shell [color=red](continue on a mac from here.)[/color] hit enter. you should now have a # sign. [color=red](continue on a mac from here.)[/color] Type mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system hit enter, then type cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su hit enter, then type chmod 4755 /system/bin/su hit enter, now type sync hit enter then finally type reboot and hit enter. Your device will reboot. When it comes back on it will be rooted!