#1 zires

zires

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationBethel, CT

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

Hey,

I finally got adb to work on my pc! Ran the java sdk installer as administrator then installed the android sdk then the adb usb driver for Cruz. Followed the instructions on the Cruz Reader (sticky thread for rooting etc). Some of the paths on the command prompt were different on my android sdk, adb was in platform-tools instead of tools. The text below (in the box) is the procedure that I used.

What I am able to do after rooting. Will update as I go along:

1. Installed root explorer - created a zip of bloatware that I did not need and then deleted the .apks.
2. Installed superuser without any issues.
3. Was able to install Titanium Backup without root but now Titanium Backup is able to get root access, but I get an error, and only Titanium Backup files show as being able to be backed up but nothing else.
4. I was able to modify the build.prop file on the device and change the sdk number from a 5 to an 8. Then I was able to install the live wallpaper picker and some live wallpapers. I tried out some...the smaller the better, galactic core is just too slow.
5. SetCPU does not work. The processor of my tablet is not listed.

Start the Android Sdk Manager located @ C:android-sdk-windowssdk manager.exe
I don't know why this is necessary but my device is rooted now so not complaining.

Connect your device via USB.

Now, hold the Windows Key and press R. Type cmd in the box and press Enter.
 [color=red]For macintosh load the terminal and drag the folder with adb in it onto the terminal window. Follow the path that is pasted with /adb shell. So it would be like this android-sdk/tools/adb shell. You will then get the command prompt.[/color]

In the Command window, type

cd c:    

and hit enter. Now type

cd android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools

and hit enter. Now here is where you will begin rooting the device. Type the following

adb devices
I did this to make sure the device was listed

adb shell [color=red](continue on a mac from here.)[/color]

hit enter. you should now have a # sign. [color=red](continue on a mac from here.)[/color] Type

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

hit enter, then type

cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su

hit enter, then type

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

hit enter, now type

sync

hit enter then finally type

reboot

and hit enter. Your device will reboot. When it comes back on it will be rooted!

• indy2061 likes this

#2 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:50 PM

Nice work Zires.  I followed this method and it gave me full root access.  Root Explorer will now mount r/w access and I can view the data directory.  I am having problems with Titanium Backup but from what I can tell it is a Busybox issue, not a root issue.

#3 J225

J225

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:51 AM

Ok, guys,I think that I got it rooted perfectly, thanks to your wondeful instructions, but now i am at a loss- when i tried  to instacl t.backiup, and opening it it- get an error and it closes, and when i try to use either  superuser or setcpu, the screen goes black or back to home screen,what am i doing wrong ? And thanks again for the awesome proces, neverthought i got getit done at 155am in the morning,lol.

#4 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:59 AM

Try typing whoami at the command line for your shell.  Does it tell you userid=0?

Can you also print out a ls -l of your system and data directories and we can try to troubleshoot it?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

#5 J225

J225

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

Try typing whoami at the command line for your shell.  Does it tell you userid=0?

Can you also print out a ls -l of your system and data directories and we can try to troubleshoot it?

Good morning, I'm not understanding what you meant by the above statement, are ou saying that I have to go back through the rooting steps and add that info, cause when I try to use titanium backup, it does mention that "whoami" remark I the error's dialogue,where am I supposed to input that?

#6 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

here is a link to the troubleshooting section for Titanium that explains how to troubleshoot the app if it isn't working.  I was able to confirm the whomai and system busybox that they recommend, but the Titanium Backup busybox test shows a problem.  The middle button at the bottom of the screen on my TB attempts to download and install Busybox for Titanium but it closes before the dialog confirms that it has completed and it still doesn't work when you re-open the application.

http://matrixrewrite...ing your phones

Hope it helps!  Let me know if you come up with a solution and I will do the same.

#7 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:06 PM

definitely recommend this as a bump to sticky for a method to gain full root permissions on the Tablet. 

#8 J225

J225

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

here is a link to the troubleshooting section for Titanium that explains how to troubleshoot the app if it isn't working.  I was able to confirm the whomai and system busybox that they recommend, but the Titanium Backup busybox test shows a problem.  The middle button at the bottom of the screen on my TB attempts to download and install Busybox for Titanium but it closes before the dialog confirms that it has completed and it still doesn't work when you re-open the application.

http://matrixrewrite...ing your phones

Hope it helps!  Let me know if you come up with a solution and I will do the same.

Thanks, I will try that link and see what happens, and I do remember getting that same problem where it "downloaded" busybox but still didn't work right afterward thanks again, and two questions-(1) were you able to overclock it after that problem and how high did you set it to, and (2), have you tried to add adhoc tethering to it so that it can tether to cellphones because that's my next challenge and I saw apost on here about it but it wasn't clear on any actual steps, thanks and be blessed, my friends-j225

#9 zires

zires

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationBethel, CT

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:38 PM

Hey,

i was not able to overclock using setcpu as the processor was not listed. Tried another processor for kicks and no dice. I cannot get a terminal app to work to even see whoami. What terminal app works on the cruz tablet?

#10 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

i use shell on my desktop with the cruz USB tethered.  i haven't found a terminal app that works on the cruz either.  setCPU has not worked for me with this root method either.

#11 J225

J225

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

Well since we can't overclock it, at this point what can we do to it now that it's rooted cause I even tried to installl the market apk and it stated that it could not instal it as an apk(vending.apk) so what advantages do we have now that it's rooted?

#12 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

Root Explorer works so you can move/delete files that you don't typically have permission to manage on the device.  I use Cache Mate and that now works with root.  I am trying to get MetaMorph running.  ROM Explorer installs but I have not been able to play with it much yet.  There are screenshot apps that require root.  You could give those a shot and see if they work on the Tablet.  Give some of the root apps a try and see what you are able to accomplish.  Tinker and post what you find. 

P.S. Could also consider changing your system fonts...
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?p=6103587

#13 jathan86

jathan86

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

Thanks! This worked perfectly on my T301. Can't wait to see what this thing can really do.

#14 mrdigital

mrdigital

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:40 AM

I'm a soon-to-be Cruz Tablet owner so I've been keeping an eye on this forum.  Thanks, zires, for getting this rooted.

As far as the market goes, I came across a link yesterday but can't seem to find it now.  I don't know if anyone has tried, but there were references to 2 versions of the market; 1 for Froyo and 1 for pre-Froyo devices.  I downloaded the files but never saved the link.  One is called com.android.vending.froyo.apk  and the other is com.android.vending.prefroyo.apk  Maybe the latter file will work on the tablet?  If you search Google for those files you should be able to download them.

#15 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:44 AM

I'm a soon-to-be Cruz Tablet owner so I've been keeping an eye on this forum.  Thanks, zires, for getting this rooted.

As far as the market goes, I came across a link yesterday but can't seem to find it now.  I don't know if anyone has tried, but there were references to 2 versions of the market; 1 for Froyo and 1 for pre-Froyo devices.  I downloaded the files but never saved the link.  One is called com.android.vending.froyo.apk  and the other is com.android.vending.prefroyo.apk  Maybe the latter file will work on the tablet?  If you search Google for those files you should be able to download them.

Welcome and congrats on your new tablet.  If you can get the Market figured out, you will have lots of friends here.  :)

Keep us posted on how it works.

#16 mrdigital

mrdigital

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

Welcome and congrats on your new tablet.  If you can get the Market figured out, you will have lots of friends here.  :)

Keep us posted on how it works.

Haha...Thanks.  It won't be here for a couple days so I have some time.

#17 J225

J225

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

I for one, would definitely count you as one of mine lol if you could pull that off, never though about that though.

#18 zacwhite15

zacwhite15

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:29 AM

I have been trying to get market place working. I noticed that its missing certain library's to be able to run. If I could get my hands on a 2.0 build from a phone that has the files I can get working :o

Sent from my pt701 using Tapatalk

#19 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:51 AM

Do you know which library files you need?

#20 GJSmith3rd

GJSmith3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:12 AM

I have been trying to get market place working. I noticed that its missing certain library's to be able to run. If I could get my hands on a 2.0 build from a phone that has the files I can get working :(

Sent from my pt701 using Tapatalk

Perhaps you could pull them from an Android SDK AVD with Market?

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Bill Roney in Bill Roney's Blog, on 23 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

After using zires ADB walk through to root the Tablet I was able to use ConnectBot 1.5.3 without any problems. This is just an FYI because I know people that have the knowledge to Hack the MIPS032 (not the processor just a problem with using android OS with it) have been saying that "If I can get a terminal or Telnet session to work I could do more...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users