Transfering apps from phone to tablet

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 iamsumo

iamsumo

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

Does anyone know if there's a reliable way to transfer apps purchased on Market on an Android phone to a Cruz tablet? I recently purchased the premium version of Aldiko for my phone and I'd love to  put a copy on my tablet. Is that possible?

#2 zires

zires

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationBethel, CT

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Hey,
If your phone is rooted you. Can do it search on google for the path where market apps are saved.

I can save you some time though...as Aldiko doesn't install on my tablet.

#3 geekgirl70

geekgirl70

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

I've not tried the premium version, but the regular version of Aldiko does work on the Tablet. I use it all the time, it's my favorite eReader app. :D

#4 Contra

Contra

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

I also like it, and the 2.0 version will allow you to read DRM protected books
but is there a reader I can use that will allow me to read DRM protected books now?

#5 geekgirl70

geekgirl70

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

This is what Calibre has to say about DRM (Calibre is the application I use to convert digital files for Aldiko)

How do I use purchased EPUB books with calibre?¶

Most purchased EPUB books have DRM. This prevents calibre from opening them. You can still use calibre to store and transfer them to your e-book reader. First, you must authorize your reader on a windows machine with Adobe Digital Editions. Once this is done, EPUB books transferred with calibre will work fine on your reader. When you purchase an epub book from a website, you will get an ”.acsm” file. This file should be opened with Adobe Digital Editions, which will then download the actual ”.epub” e-book. The e-book file will be stored in the folder “My Digital Editions”, from where you can add it to calibre.

#6 iamsumo

iamsumo

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

I was using Alkido 2.0 on my Cruz Reader and loved it, but there's no way that I can see of getting it on my Cruz Tablet, since I don't have access to the Android Market.

I tried the free version of Alkido 1.2.9, but I hate the way the bookshelf looks, so I sent with Kobo, since I can sideload my epub files to it.

#7 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:27 PM

This thread:

http://forum.archosf...=315872#p315872

points to this link (use at your own risk!  haven't tested and can't confirm safety of file!)

http://www.4shared.c...U/Aldiko20.html

as a free copy of the Aldiko 2.0 reader apk file that was made for Archos.  That's the claim at least...

You can install an apk manually by downloading the file to your desktop computer, connecting your Tablet by USB to your computer, loading the apk file on your sd card, navigating to the file using the free application ASTRO, and clicking on it.  A menu will open that asks if you want to 'Open App Manager'.  Navigate the dialogs to install the application on your device.

Hope this helps!

#8 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

BTW, I don't think that it is possible to install paid apps on multiple devices if you don't have access to the Market because the confirmation that you paid for it takes place through that application (I think?).

You can adb pull the Aldiko file from your system/app directory on your phone and then install it on your Tablet (either with adb install or by loading the apk onto SD card and then manually installing it) to give it a shot.  If there is a way to enter a confirmation code in the app, then I suppose this method will work.

There are lots of ADB tutorials on the web if you haven't played around with it for file manipulation on Android devices.  Here is a good one over at XDA:

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=879701

#9 iamsumo

iamsumo

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:24 AM

androidophile, you are my hero!

Thanks for the links!

#10 iamsumo

iamsumo

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:32 AM

One question: Do I have to install the Aldiko .apk file using the Android SDK? I can't seem to get it to install via ASTRO.

#11 geekgirl70

geekgirl70

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

What's happening when you try to install it with Astro?

#12 iamsumo

iamsumo

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

Nothing, actually. When I click on the apk in ASTRO in brings up the file summary, IIRC, but there's no install button.

#13 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

androidophile, you are my hero!

Thanks for the links!

No problem bud, enjoy!

#14 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

Nothing, actually. When I click on the apk in ASTRO in brings up the file summary, IIRC, but there's no install button.

It sounds like Astro isn't recognizing it as an .apk file.  It's not being loaded onto your tablet as a compressed file or with strange characters or spaces in the name is it?

#15 geekgirl70

geekgirl70

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

I too was going to suggest that you make sure the suffix (.apk) is correct with no hidden characters.

#16 cde

cde

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:08 AM

Just want to mention, Aldiko is one of those rare apps that the ""free"" version has all the features and is add free, with the paid version is a way to donate/tip/support the creators.

Just download the standard version for your tablet.

#17 iamsumo

iamsumo

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

I just found out that Aldiko 2.0 is only compatible with Eclair, and I have 2.0 on this tablet.

Oh, well. :)

#18 jeepmonster01

jeepmonster01

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:44 AM

Does anyone know if there's a reliable way to transfer apps purchased on Market on an Android phone to a Cruz tablet? I recently purchased the premium version of Aldiko for my phone and I'd love to  put a copy on my tablet. Is that possible?

download dropbox from freewarelovers and dropbox on your phone and sign in on cruz and all your apps will be right there just download your apps onto your cruz and extract them