• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 GJSmith3rd

GJSmith3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:04 AM

Here's a link to a system.img file for a Froyo Android 2.2 Virtual Device. 

http://www.ehalm.at/...market.php?l=en

or

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wqkg32

Here's a link to a thread in XDA forums where Ehalm, the creator of the system.img file, posted regarding the file.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=529170&highlight=android+market+emulator

It was posted on the internet by an unknown party and I am just providing the link for Cruz Tablet owners and anyone else that doesn't have the Android Market.  It has the Android Market built in which may help some obtain APK's that are otherwise unavailable.  The link site instructions are a bit misleading but I found that the following steps will take you in the right direction.  I have successfully accessed the Android Market with the AVD using a Linux Lubuntu OS and associated development applications.

1) Install the latest update of the Sun JAVA SE SDK.

2) Install a Eclipse IDE (I used Classic).

3) Install the Android SDK.

4) Install the Android ADT plugin for Eclipse which can be found on the Android SDK site.

5) Open the Eclipse IDE and change the preferences to set the location of the Android SDK and create a new AVD using the ADT plugin. 

6) Find the AVD location in your file system under the logged in user account home folder and ".android/avd" folders.

7) Download the zipped system.img file http://www.ehalm.at/...market.php?l=en and extract into the newly created AVD folder with the other .img files.

8) Open either Eclipse or the Android SDK directly and start the AVD.

Your AVD should boot and then you can navigate to the Android Market and take it from there...

#2 Contra

Contra

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:31 AM

i already can go to the android market (with a ROM i got from here)
  but this will help me how?

#3 GJSmith3rd

GJSmith3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:49 AM

Ok, the moderators have tried to help us sort the confusion between the Cruz Tablet and the Cruz Reader which are two diiferent devices.  Reader has an ARM processor and the Tablet (T100 Series) have MIPS processors.  This is the Cruz Tablet Forum and I am also looking for a ROM for the TABLET with something above Android 2,0.

This thread in the Cruz Tablet Forum was created to give people with Cruz Tablets and no Android Market a free way to access the market and eventually transfer the apk files to the Cruz Tablet.

8)

#4 geekgirl70

geekgirl70

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

Heres a link to a system.img file for a Froyo Android 2.2 Virtual Device. 

http://www.ehalm.at/...market.php?l=en

It was posted on the internet by an unknown party and I am just providing the link for Cruz Tablet owners and anyone else that doesn't have the Android Market.  It has the Android Market built in which may help some obtain APK's that are otherwise unavailable.  The link site instructions are a bit misleading but I found that the following steps will take you in the right direction.  I have successfully accessed the Android Market with the AVD using a Linux Lubuntu OS and associated development applications.

Thanks! I'll give it a try later. This might be a viable workaround until we find a solution for the Tablet. :( Good work!

#5 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

Very helpful GJ.  If I understand correctly, the market will run through an emulator which is launched through Eclipse.  You download the apk's from the Market from that emulator and then install them onto your device.  If that is the case, this doesn't put the Market on the tablet but is definitely helpful to access the Market goodies for the tablet.

#6 GJSmith3rd

GJSmith3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:30 PM

Yes, hopefully at minimum this will get some of the apps only available on the market.  8)

#7 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.  Going to give it a shot!

#8 GJSmith3rd

GJSmith3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

Update: I was able to successfully connect to the Android Virtual Device (Emulator) under Lubuntu Linux and use ADB to pull apps downloaded from the Android Market to the emulator into the PC.  From there I just connected the Cruz Tablet to the PC and enabled USB storage and copied the files to the Cruz from the PC and attempted installation.

8)

#9 GJSmith3rd

GJSmith3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

Obsolete: This step is no longer required and has been replaced further down in the thread.

Update: The system.img in the link above has access to the Android Market but only for unprotected apps!  I was able to change the build.prop file in the /system folder in the AVD with a ro.build.signature entry and was able to successfully access the Market with protected apps.

Original in AVD
ro.build.fingerprint=generic/sdk/generic/:2.2/FRF91/43546:eng/test-keys

Modified Entry
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.1-update1/ESE81/29593:user/release-keys

XDA has a new forum for the Cruz Tablet http://forum.xda-dev...95#post10655195

8)

#10 GJSmith3rd

GJSmith3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:43 AM

Update: FYI, the Velocity Micro Cruz Tablet T-100 series have a USB vendor ID of Google 18d1 and shows as a Ingenic Mobile Phone when using ADB under Linux.

http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

8)

#11 GJSmith3rd

GJSmith3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:54 AM

Replacement for obsolete entry: I discovered a much simpler way to access the Android Market with an Android SDK AVD including protected apps which are not available in the system.img above.  This renders the changes to the ro.build.fingerprint unnecessary. 

Basically you go to Manage Applications -  Market - clear cache - force stop

and Manage Applications - Google Services Framework - clear data - press ok to data - force stop -

Finally,power down and start again to access protected apps in market.

For me it is quite easy to get the apps on the Cruz from the AVD by using Cruz Sync and Zumo Drive.

Here's a YouTube link with instructions for another device but it works on the AVD as well.

8)

Edited by GJSmith3rd, 23 February 2011 - 01:24 AM.

#12 GJSmith3rd

GJSmith3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:03 AM

Update: Here's a video with instructions on a Mac.  Same general idea apples.

8)

#13 GJSmith3rd

GJSmith3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:06 AM

Quote From: http://www.slatedroi...22246#msg122246

For those who would prefer a file explorer approach rather than using the command line for this, play around with the DDMS application which is in the tools directory of your Android SDK.  You can see the files on your device in an explorer style format and use many of the adb commands in the application.  adb push and pull (files to and from directories on device and/or your desktop file system) definitely work.  i believe that you can install apk's from within the application.  You can delete files.

Update:

Androidophile has brought to our attention a very useful tool in the Android SDK, the (DDMS) Davlik Debug Monitor.  Using this tool makes it very easy to pull and push files from multiple Android devices using a graphical user interface.  Combined with the CruzSync application and a ZumoDrive account you can easily pull applications from the SDK AVD into a ZumoDrive linked folder and have them automatically copied wifeless to your Cruz Tablet using CruzSync.  This application has become my favorite tool for pulling Android Market apps from the SDK AVD to my Android Market blocked Cruz Tablet!

#14 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

Quote From: http://www.slatedroi...22246#msg122246

For those who would prefer a file explorer approach rather than using the command line for this, play around with the DDMS application which is in the tools directory of your Android SDK.  You can see the files on your device in an explorer style format and use many of the adb commands in the application.  adb push and pull (files to and from directories on device and/or your desktop file system) definitely work.  i believe that you can install apk's from within the application.  You can delete files.

Update:

Androidophile has brought to our attention a very useful tool in the Android SDK, the (DDMS) Davlik Debug Monitor.  Using this tool makes it very easy to pull and push files from multiple Android devices using a graphical user interface.  Combined with the CruzSync application and a ZumoDrive account you can easily pull applications from the SDK AVD into a ZumoDrive linked folder and have them automatically copied wifeless to your Cruz Tablet using CruzSync.  This application has become my favorite tool for pulling Android Market apps from the SDK AVD to my Android Market blocked Cruz Tablet!

Great workaround!  Will give that a shot this weekend.  I may have deleted my CruzSync apk during my bloatware cleanup....

#15 GJSmith3rd

GJSmith3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:16 AM

Update: Screenshots
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#16 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:50 AM

This worked well GJS. For some reason, my emulator takes a really long time to load on my desktop (on the order of 10 minutes).  Any idea how you can reduce the load time?  The install went flawlessly.  The only thing that I would clarify in your description is that the system.img file needs to go in the .android/avd/name.avd/ directory (where name is the new AVD that you created with the AVD manager in Eclipse) .  I put it in the higher level avd directory initially and it wasn't working.

Thanks for showing us how to get Market access for the Cruz Tablet!

#17 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

recommend bump to sticky status

#18 GJSmith3rd

GJSmith3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:49 AM

This worked well GJS. For some reason, my emulator takes a really long time to load on my desktop (on the order of 10 minutes).  Any idea how you can reduce the load time?  The install went flawlessly.  The only thing that I would clarify in your description is that the system.img file needs to go in the .android/avd/name.avd/ directory (where name is the new AVD that you created with the AVD manager in Eclipse) .  I put it in the higher level avd directory initially and it wasn't working.

Thanks for showing us how to get Market access for the Cruz Tablet!

Yes the AVDs seem to take quite some time on the first few starts. I think its relalated to the initial creation of the Dalvik VM cache.  Later the AVD seems to load much faster.

recommend bump to sticky status

Thanks for the sticy bump vote - I think this thread will be very useful for Cruz Tablet owners because some just need a free way to get Market apps.

#19 androidophile

androidophile

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

Yes the AVDs seem to take quite some time on the first few starts. I think its relalated to the initial creation of the Dalvik VM cache.  Later the AVD seems to load much faster.

yep, that seemed to be the case.  works great!

#20 J225

J225

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:21 PM

Ok, I have  litterally wreckedmy brain trying to do this process with no success, someone please help because i have tried to make the correct folder to show in "preference in ecplise, and it has ared "x" on it saying that the location could not be  found,and what name exactly is the the folder supposed to beunder, and lastly, theprocess mentioned in theyoutube video doesnt work for me either because for that process to work, you wouldhave to have  market.apk on there,and the cruz tablet wont let you instal it on  there, rooted or otherwise please help !!!! Thanks in advance-J225

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users