#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
WARNING: Use at your own risk!

Update: version 4.0 up, more responsive
Update: version 3.1 800mhz up
Update: version 3.1, finally... market updates
Update: finished version 3.0, check the changes section
Update: added cpu unlocked version
Updated: see the changes section and download new zip

Note for people who used previous release: Since so much problems happened with previous release be sure to format the sd card using androids format tool (Settings -> Sd card and devices storage) before running app2sd.sh

Hi again all!

Here i'm posting a rom based on the newer firmware of vm that has wireless, sound and performance fixes. This modification includes a market and busy box setup took from the files provided by cycologists here so credits go to him. Also the su executable was taken from original macho cruz rom since it really brings a fully rooted environment by enabling the use of root account with id 0 and group 0 (also credits to androapp).

I moved all third party software provided by vm to the data/app directory for easy uninstallation in case you dont use it. Also I included an improved terminal emulator that supports inputting numbers, the name of the apk is jackpal.androidterm.apk and the application icon says Terminal emulator. Actually after testing the rom this application seems to not install correctly but what you can do is backup the apk, and reinstall it that should fix it.

Many people here already know how to flash a rom but for reference here we go.

Installation Instructions:

1. Download the provided file on this post.

2. Place it on the external sd card of the reader (it should keep the original name: PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip)

3. With the reader powered off press and leave the VOLUME UP + POWER BUTTON until an android bot appears and installation process starts (recommended to have the power cable connected to the unit in case of battery failure)

4. When the installation finishes the device will reboot and you will see the cruz reader logo, then the device will reboot again after executing an initialization script for the first time.

5. (Just on older versions of firmware 1.0v - 2.0v) When the system starts for first time a setup wizard will appear. Pressing the droid will not work as it states, to bypass this situation press the 4 corners of the display clockwise until the wizard close.

Applications to SD Instructions

1. Run the additional terminal emulator provided (if crashes or force close backitup with astro, uninstall and install)

2. Write su an press enter, after that superuser app will ask if you want the terminal to access root priviliges, so press allow or always allow.

3. Now write app2sd.sh and press enter, then follow the script instructions to enable the storage of applications into the sd.

4. After the script finishes write reboot and press enter to restart the system and finally activate the sd to store applications.

Note:
When the script ask you what is the size in megabytes of the first partition, this is not the partition of the applications it is the partition you will use to store personal files. So for example lets say we are going to use the internal sd card with a capacity of 4 Gb and I input 3072, this means I will have 3 Gb for personal files and 1 Gb to store applications.

Possible problems and solutions:

When trying to install the firmware appears an exclamation sign on top of the droid and nothing happens.
Unplug the battery format the sd card to fat32 place the rom file and try again.

Android warns you that the sd card is blank.
Connect the device thru usb and format the first partition of the sd you selected for storing the applications to fat32, using your favorite tool (for example gparted). Disconnect the usb cable and reboot the device.

Market shows the following message ("server error occurred" retry or cancel) and doesn't lets me download or search from it.
This usually happens when you don't run the old version of market, search and install something before market updates. So if you are getting the mentioned message in most cases means your market is updated. The fix would be to uninstall new market update from application manager, run old market, search something, install it, close old market, wait a while and when market updates again there shouldn't be any problem.

Other possible solution posted by howie372 is starting google talk and then closing it and running market.

Wifi fails to connect after waking from standby mode
Try the fast reboot application posted below. It seems to be a fix that works as reported by other users on the forum.

Recommended free applications:

Skyfire - for watching videos provided on websites that use flash.

Terminal emulator - A VT-100 terminal emulator for the Android OS (needed for running the app2sd script, you can download it from market)

Swapper 2 - Enables the use of a swap file to increment ram capacity. (You can download it from market also)

Thumb Keyboard - Makes writing much more comfortable

IReader - supports some extra file formats like CHM not provided by the cruz

Market Enabler - In case you dont see paid applications on market

AndFTP and AndExplorer (xD) - Really light weight applications as the name says.

K-9 Mail - A greate replacement for stock mail client.

AdFree - Disables ads from websites giving you a faster browsing experience. (You can download it from market)

Calcbuddy - A better calc application that works with new libdvm.so. (You can download it from market)

Fast Reboot - An application that does a system reinitialization without doing a hardware reboot (Useful to fix wireless issue of not connecting after the reader woke up from standby as some users has reported)

-------------------------

Changes

Version 4.0 - 2/2/2011

* This release was made possible by donaldson
* Updated terminal application to latest
* Updated: app2sd to format applications partition to ext4
* Removed: maps, street, gmail, voice (not needed to run market and system feels much smoother)
* Fixed constant sync issue by sacrificing calendar, gmail and forgot the other one

* Updated 2d and 3d drivers
* remapped volume up to menu and volume down to back
* Updated dalvik cache with jit
* Added K-9 mail as a good substitude to gmail mail client
* In a brief this should leave you with a more responsive device.

Version 3.1 - 1/17/2011 (some hours later xD)

* Now market updates normally to new version.

Version 3.0 - 1/17/2011

* Installer now makes a format of system partition and userdata partition for a much cleaner setup (full wipeout?)
* Updated app2sd.sh to automatically format primary partition
* Now app2sd.sh ask you if you want to use the current applications on the sd instead of reformatting
* Added utility option on app2sd.sh to format the primary partition of any sd card
* Fixed swapper.sh script (now doesn't reports sd card as damaged)
* Used the market apk files found on macho rom file (maybe now updates market, haven't tested)
* no need to press the four corners of display on setupwizard
* Updated ro.build.version.sdk from 5 to 7 to allow installation of more software like adobe reader from market.
* Test signed all apk files
* Zip-aligned all apk files for better performance
* Updated busybox from version 1.15 to 1.17
* maybe I forgot something else xD ...

Version 2.0 - 1/9/2011

* Added execution permissions on [, busybox and install-recovery.sh at android setup on the updater-script
* Fixed a bug on the app2sd.sh script that reported errors when the sd card first partition didn't start on cylinder 1
* Moved maps, calendar and some others apk to the /data/app directory for easy uninstallation
* Now the system should really be rooted for those that never touched the file permissions

Version 1.0 - 1/8/2011

* Initial cooking of the rom

Download Rom (v4.0):

Normal Version (cpu works at 533mhz):
http://www.mediafire.com/?h88smhvuy2twedm (md5: 84ca72143b197c4759dc243276708a6f)

Download Rom (v3.1):

http://www.mediafire.com/?bn8zeiapendkean (md5: 4ec3eb9bdfa7d298833cebd3e690ab95)

Unlocked Version (cpu works at 800mhz) - This version may not work on your device
http://www.mediafire.com/?1k8yae3ui76s811 (md5: 5d420cf8f87b9cad1a22a83135c2dbe4)

Download Rom (v3.0):

http://www.mediafire.com/?p605u11fr7o13ri (md5: c857fa80de7dfecff13ba8f7a9a3d34b)

Download Rom (v2.0):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WWGCS9LK (md5: 61d2106d8e2a1db6ed071c519e29de2c)

Unlocked Version (cpu works at 800mhz) - This version may not work on your device
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9FTO0AJX (md5: c4ef712abf0995da2b73dd5d9478470c)

See less See more
#3 ·
Ralir,

You followed 2. right?

2. Write su an press enter, after that superuser app will ask if you want the terminal to access root priviliges, so press allow or always allow.

I accidently didn't the first time then went and started from scratch and it's working good.

Also JGM's list of Apps is great. I use a lot of those on my Gtablet.

So nice to see these new roms hitting. Good luck to all and have fun!

#6 ·
[quote author=phandroidtablets.com link=topic=14317.msg114917#msg114917 date=1294507146]
Ralir,

You followed 2. right?

I accidently didn't the first time then went and started from scratch and it's working good.

[/quote]

Hi,
Yes. I did correctly first time around. I tried again. Same Result.
RaliR

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Actually I didnt included the modified u-boot.bin since for many people it wasn't working right like me (maybe because I have first version of reader and some hardware has changed, sometimes boot others not)

If the unlocking of cpu works right on your reader you can replace the u-boot.bin on this package by the one provided by pandabomb, as the title says the rom is already rooted so setcpu works right.

I discovered an application to overclock the cpu without the need of different kernel or bootloader called Milestone Overclock but it doesnt supports the cruz cpu, on the project webpage says it supports omap3 cpus, what could be the difference with smdk6410? I would be interesting to see more cpus support

[quote author=RALIR link=topic=14317.msg114931#msg114931 date=1294508364]
[quote author=phandroidtablets.com link=topic=14317.msg114917#msg114917 date=1294507146]
Ralir,

You followed 2. right?

[/quote]

Hi,
RaliR
[/quote]

That's strange, did you used the improved terminal emulator provided on the rom? Not the terminal emulator that can be accessed from Dev Tools.

#816 ·
Thanks to you I am able to be unrestricted to some of the things I can do on my Cruz R101. It's much appreciated. I didn't have that much of a problem until I got to the Terminal Emulator. For some reason it made the card unable to even be read. It said "SD Card Removed" when I reboot. I run a program called Partition master to fix the internal card, and ran it again and formatted it with windows the second time and didn't have any other problems. Thanks.

#10 ·
JGM thank you for your work... I am already rooted and using the Macho Rom  as per the instructions put out by Pandabomb. I am wondering if it is safe to flash my Cruz R101 V2.0 with this ROM? Do I need to go back to the stock Rom first or can I just flash over the Mach Rom?

#11 ·
[quote author=jgm link=topic=14317.msg114963#msg114963 date=1294512050]
Actually after executing su if you write id and press enter you should see uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
[/quote]

Bingo thats what I did. I have had her at 750 and min. at 333. I have since flashed again though. I'm just playing with some things with the reader. No rom stays for more then an hour on my test reader.

I'd like to mess around and add some with this rom though if thats cool Jgm?

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
sure, this is a toy to play with ;)

[quote author=sdnative link=topic=14317.msg114998#msg114998 date=1294514988]
JGM thank you for your work... I am already rooted and using the Macho Rom as per the instructions put out by Pandabomb. I am wondering if it is safe to flash my Cruz R101 V2.0 with this ROM? Do I need to go back to the stock Rom first or can I just flash over the Mach Rom?
[/quote]

Well It should be fine to flash over it without problem, but strange things seem to happen on this forums ;)

#15 ·
[quote author=gjbnh link=topic=14317.msg115013#msg115013 date=1294516124]
AppSD errors out on my with "too many files open AND path does not exist
[/quote]

Maybe since you manually tried the script first, and got some errors from a bug that ocurred while trying to partition the internal sd card (later fixed and included on this rom), you will need to check if /system/tempsd exists and delete it, also delete the /system/etc/install-recovery.sh then power off the unit. Then manually partition the internal sd card to fat32 and leave only 1 partition (maybe androids bundle format tool works well, haven't tested). Then follow the instructions of this post to install the rom and run the script.

You may also need to partition the external sd card, all depends on how you are doing it.

#16 ·
[quote author=jgm link=topic=14317.msg114957#msg114957 date=1294511391]
Actually I didnt included the modified u-boot.bin since for many people it wasn't working right like me (maybe because I have first version of reader and some hardware has changed, sometimes boot others not)

If the unlocking of cpu works right on your reader you can replace the u-boot.bin on this package by the one provided by pandabomb, as the title says the rom is already rooted so setcpu works right.

I discovered an application to overclock the cpu without the need of different kernel or bootloader called Milestone Overclock but it doesnt supports the cruz cpu, on the project webpage says it supports omap3 cpus, what could be the difference with smdk6410? I would be interesting to see more cpus support

[quote author=RALIR link=topic=14317.msg114931#msg114931 date=1294508364]
Ralir,

You followed 2. right?

[/quote]

Hi,
RaliR
[/quote]

That's strange, did you used the improved terminal emulator provided on the rom? Not the terminal emulator that can be accessed from Dev Tools.
[/quote]

First off...THANKS!...for doing this work.

Everything was smooth up until the app2sd.sh...I get the same permission denied problem mentioned above.

I also used to get the problem where I could see app2sd.sh (when I copied it myself) but it would say file not found when I tried to run the script.

Some combination of settings has to be causing this...

My su persmissions show /system/bin/sh

#19 ·
[quote author=icedog97 link=topic=14317.msg115069#msg115069 date=1294522020]
[quote author=jgm link=topic=14317.msg115062#msg115062 date=1294521482]
as a second option then try this after su command:

sh /system/bin/app2sd.sh
[/quote]

Tried it...same result...
[/quote]

I'm getting the same "Permission Denied" error as icedog97, even though mine is rooted now. The sh /system/bin/app2sd.sh command does bring up the options in the emulator, but when I select "1" to prepare the SD card for application storage it gives the "permission denied" error. Just putting in the app2sd.sh command would go straight to permission denied. Also, I had to uninstall and reinstall the terminal emulator since the one loaded with the new ROM kept giving me a "force close" error...doubt that makes a difference, but in case anyone else with a R103 v3 is having the same issue.

#20 ·
I'm having trouble with the app2sd part. I've followed the instructions and have had no luck. I keep getting this error.

[quote author=ho0k3r link=topic=14173.msg113634#msg113634 date=1294346602]
[quote author=robn link=topic=14173.msg113623#msg113623 date=1294345246]
Attached is the app2sd.sh that I used - had to reformat the file twice to get it to run
[/quote]

Ok now I get a little further but get this error.

Input the size in megabytes of the primary partition, the left space will be u
d for the applications partition: 2700

Partitioning the sd card...

WARNING: DOS-compatible mode is deprecated. It's strongly recommended to
switch off the mode (command 'c') and change display units to
sectors (command 'u').

Command (m for help): Selected partition 1

Command (m for help): Command action
e extended
p primary partition (1-4)
Partition number (1-4): First cylinder (2-484032, default 2): Value out of ran
First cylinder (2-484032, default 2): Last cylinder, +cylinders or +size{K,M,G
(345600-484032, default 484032): Last cylinder, +cylinders or +size{K,M,G} (34
00-484032, default 484032): Last cylinder, +cylinders or +size{K,M,G} (345600-
4032, default 484032): Value out of range.
Last cylinder, +cylinders or +size{K,M,G} (345600-484032, default 484032): Usi
default value 484032

Hex code (type L to list codes): Changed system type of partition 1 to 1 (FAT1

Command (m for help): There is no *BSD partition on /dev/block/mmcblk1.

Hex code (type L to list codes): Changed system type of partition 1 to 2 (XENI
root)

Command (m for help): 8: unknown command
Command action
a toggle a bootable flag
b edit bsd disklabel
c toggle the dos compatibility flag
d delete a partition
l list known partition types
m print this menu
n add a new partition
o create a new empty DOS partition table
p print the partition table
q quit without saving changes
s create a new empty Sun disklabel
t change a partition's system id
u change display/entry units
v verify the partition table
w write table to disk and exit
x extra functionality (experts only)

Command (m for help): The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.

WARNING: If you have created or modified any DOS 6.x
partitions, please see the fdisk manual page for additional
information.
Syncing disks.
Formatting partition 2...
mke2fs 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
Could not stat /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 --- No such file or directory

The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?
Coying all files from data directory to new sd mount point...
mount: No such file or directory
[/quote]

I've searched threads trying to get it to work, but I'm not having any luck. Don't really know what else to try.

#921 ·
I'm having trouble with the app2sd part. I've followed the instructions and have had no luck. I keep getting this error.

I've searched threads trying to get it to work, but I'm not having any luck. Don't really know what else to try.
I dont know if you still have the problem but i ran into the same thing and figured out how to fix it, first make sure the card is formatted correctly (W95 FAT32) then make sure it mounts correctly. After all that unmount the card and run the app2sh.sh script with the card unmounted. and when it finishes reboot.

hope this helps.

#22 ·
Hi

Firstly, Thanks for your hard work on the rom and getting app2sd sorted.

I have the same problem as RaliR. I am definitely rooted. When I type app2sd.sh and get the 3 options, no matter which one I choose I get this:

/system/bin/app2sd.sh: [: permission denied

/system/bin/app2sd.sh: [: permission denied

Not sure why it comes up twice. Just to rub it in I guess.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jimmy

#23 ·
Since I can't get the app2sd working for now, is there an app or way to uninstall some of the Google bloatware (i.e. voice, calendar, etc) from the internal drive? I was able to uninstall a few of the standard programs like cruz market and Dr.Eye, but that only freed up about 8mb...still only gives me 32mb of the 256mb internal memory to use :-

Thanks again everyone!

#24 ·
After having such a hard time and getting nowhere with the Panda ROM (R103v3), I was surprised this one installed nicely. Thanks jgm!

Like others, I'm stuck at the jackpal terminal trying to get su.
1. open terminal - got error message
2. backed up terminal, uninstalled, then re-installed
3. open terminal, type su and enter
4. su: uid 10028 not allowed to su
5. type id and enter
6. uid=10028(app_28) gid=10028(app_28) groups=1015(sdcard_),3003(inet)

Any suggestions????

#25 ·
Dear JGM,

Thank you for your prompt responses and helpful suggestions.

Per your suggestion, I tried "id" after "su" and got the confirmation "uid=0(root) gid=0(root)". Then I tried "sh/system/bin/app2sd.sh" and got the message "not found". Just as an experiment, I tried "/data/local/bib/app2sd.sh" and again got the message "not found".My unit is R103 V2.0. Any thoughts you have? I will be glad to try. I really like the thought of moving the apps to SD thus overcoming the 70 MB limit for apps.

Anybody else has any suggestions? Please float them my way.

While I have played with PDN reader for a while before giving it off to my daughter and now am playing with Cruz Reader, I have used the Forum. I have been very impressed with the helpful can-do spirit and decided to be a part of the forum. So I just joined yesterday ( or today? Time flies when you are having fun.)

Thank you again.

Best Regards,

RaliR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.