cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su: Not Found

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sparow311

sparow311

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

Hi everyone. I'm new to the android community and I'm teaching myself adb. I purchased an white PDN because the store clerk told me android was already running on it with marketplace access....... ??? When I got home I realized that obviously he was wrong. So being the kinda guy I am I started my hacking investigation. I've done several things so far. I'm running the cruz hybrid mod. It runs pretty good for the price I paid. I like creating themes and such so I started looking on what I needed to do. Obviously I needed to gain root access, which I did. In root explorer I can see the root but not modify it. So I can't install things like metamorph and busy box. So I started looking into ADB. So far I have it running on my mac. It's sees the pdn when I do the adb devices command. Then I will do a simple adb remount to get it into read/write mode. Then I launch adb shell. Everything good so far. So I follow the instructions on the wiki I skip the "mount -o rw,remount..blah bah command because I read that the simple adb remount is the best way before you actually open the adb shell. When I type "cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su" it returns with "cat/system/bin/sh: not found"..... My head is about to explode and I'm ready to throw my computer out the window, the pdn in the fireplace and then run around the house with a can of gasoline that trails back to the fireplace where the pdn will find it's final resting point and I will sit at my desk while my house burns down around me..... CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IN THE WORLD I'M DOING WRONG?????????  >:) >:( >:( >:( I would greatley appreciate it.

#2 gnarlyc

gnarlyc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:10 PM

Have you tried -

'ls /system/bin'

&

'ls /system/xbin'

?

It might tell you if sh is in /system/xbin instead of /system/bin. I'm not sure without looking myself.

#3 sparow311

sparow311

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:25 PM

I'm in adb now and tried that and both those commands came up as :not found. It's a good start though. I'm really just finding my way around it so everything new I learn helps. Thanks

#4 sparow311

sparow311

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

OK Folk.... I bricked it Time to start all over again.  :'( >:). I think im having a heart attack..... All I did was instead of manually entering the commands manually I copied and pasted off the wiki. I must have been missing a space or something. So before I check into a mental institution later on today whats the best rom I should use to sooth my nerves. I'm going play baseball with this thing in a minute...

#5 gnarlyc

gnarlyc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

If it still goes into recovery, then you can flash another ROM. No real brick there. DOES it go into recovery?

#6 sparow311

sparow311

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

I did the froyo but I cannot mount the sd cards on my computer and and it will not let me flash back to the cruz hybrid.

#7 mac1_131

mac1_131

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

Well, he was right.  Lots of WPNDs running with Market access.  I have two of them here.

But you jumped straight into the fire trying to put Froyo on it first.  wow...

There are lots of more stable firmware flashes on the site here.

Hopefully you didn't brick it and will be able to get it back, then I would suggest reading a little more before trying to load anything.

I don't know too much about brickage since I have not every bricked one.  It is hard to do, I think you have to mess up the bootloader and/or the kernel to do that, and I don't think what you did should have altered those.

Does it try to turn on at all?  Do you see the Novel screen startup?

Did you try the little reset button with a paper clip?

#8 sparow311

sparow311

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

Thank you everyone.. I was able to flash the cruz hybrid back on thank god. It is my favorite out of all the ones I tried today. I appreciate everything. Once I started over I ran all the commands and it worked like butta. You guys are the bomb. It's great when other people care about someones elses unrelated problem about a dumb hobby he like to do so to all HAppy New Year.

#9 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

PDN Wiki Master, Speaker to n00bs

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts
  • Location41.6927560 / -83.5456899

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

No extra charge as long as no PDNs are injured during the ventimg process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users