• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#1 flip3547

flip3547

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

[glow=red,2,300]NOONE INVOLVED IN THIS POST IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO ANY DEVICES. FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK. FLASHING ANYTHING ONTO THESE DEVICES COULD CAUSE A BRICK. [/glow]
This will be the instruction thread on how to install a rooted rom on the Wopad TR718D Device.
Thanks goes to fun_, he did all the work I just helped him test it to make sure it worked.
You will need this tool to proceed: [glow=red,2,300]http://www.mediafire.com/?4rmtw4t2pzbhil2[/glow]
The tool is within the rktools download.

Instructions:

1. Start RKAndroidBatchUpgrade from rktools folder
2. Power off your tablet
3. Press & hold back/esc key
4. While holding, connect PC and tablet with USB cable (if tablet boot normally, try again)
  (if it's first time, install driver)
5. Tablet should be recognized as "RK281X Device" in Windows, and orange mark in Device Upgrade Area will turn green in RKAndroidBatchUpgrade window
6. Click "..." right side of "[v]Image [  ]" in Setting in RKAndroidBatchUpgrade
7. After you select update.img from PC, then Boot:, Version:, and Date will fill in on their own.

Then you are OK to flash, click Upgrade button & wait until finished, be patient it does take a bit.

Tablet will reboot twice, wipe data/cache after 1st reboot, then normal boot after 2nd reboot. It takes time. Please wait several minutes.

This process should work on several devices, although these images are for the Wopad:
Apad RK2818 (not sure real name. maybe from hiapad)
Kendo M7 (maybe Yifang M7, booq Verne)
ONN N2
Suli SL-7
RAmos T11AD
RAmos W9
Wopad
But has only been physically tested with these roms on the Wopad.
This is only a rom with root added. I'm also including an update.img that is the stock version of the rom that came on my device originally. The second img ,rooted_rom.img, is the modified img.
[glow=red,2,300]http://www.mediafire.com/?69hk3fz9c7fkemc[/glow]

I have tested both images with a Wopad TR718D M7001.
From what I've read this guide should be helpful for creating custom roms:
[glow=red,2,300]http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-hacking/439-how-unpack-repack-custom-firmwares-rockchip-rk2808-rk2808a.html[/glow]

Hopefully someone can take this even farther. Good Luck!
This process works for several devices. The rooted image was modified from the stock image of my Wopad. That is why these images will work for the Wopad. For other devices the system img should be dumped, modified and then reflashed.
  • mundial2004 and a hilarious guy like this

#2 melvincz

melvincz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:19 AM

Hi flip3547, thank you for your work! I have a similar tablet (Milk Pad, also shown as TR718D) but I'm just a bit afraid of bricking the device. So I would like to modify my existing ROM. Do you think there is a possibility to do such modification on Windows machine? Or, may I simply compare your image to my? Maybe I've also got a newer ROM - it's dated 22/11/2010 - so we may have latest version available for all.

Radek

#3 flip3547

flip3547

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

I'm sure it can be done, I think using the tools in the rktools folder. I don't know how. I am not by any means any kind of developer. I'm just a newb that knows his way around. I'm still learning as I go. I wrote this tutorial exactly the way I did it. I know people have been asking for root. This works for the Wopad, I'm not sure for other devices. After installing the rooted rom I was able to use lcd density, but I was just told that it isn't permanent, the app uses hot-reboot. So, after flash, it is still read-only. All my apps that require root function as they should. I'm also on a windows machine, if I find a better windows method for modifying I will spread the word.

#4 Li0nHeart

Li0nHeart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

Awesome work.. complemplating if i'll try this.. :( Don't want to brick my wopad

#5 flip3547

flip3547

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:10 AM

Hi flip3547, thank you for your work! I have a similar tablet (Milk Pad, also shown as TR718D) but I'm just a bit afraid of bricking the device. So I would like to modify my existing ROM. Do you think there is a possibility to do such modification on Windows machine? Or, may I simply compare your image to my? Maybe I've also got a newer ROM - it's dated 22/11/2010 - so we may have latest version available for all.

Radek

Windows:
http://wiki.archosfa...ate.img_Windows

#6 aboad20

aboad20

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

can you mount /system in this ROM ??

I can test this ROM tomorrow on my apad RK2818 from hiapad

#7 EAmbience

EAmbience

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

Hmm times like this i say F it i'll try it on my trackpad and let you know how it goes lol..Pray for me Q.Q

#8 solarsystem

solarsystem

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

Great Job,

My Wopad now is rooted !!

Very nice ..

#9 KeithKris

KeithKris

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

Works nicely on my wopad as well.  So what are people looking for next?  I assume The sources for this build haven't been released.  What kinds of things would people like to see (that are feasible, 2.2 probably won't happen at least not with what's available now.)

#10 EAmbience

EAmbience

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

Went through did everything..
Rebooted say a flash of white crazy lines on initial boot almost felt like crying.
Disconnected USB left D.C plugged in.
Pressed power button again and got to a screen that read

Recovery system v1.3.28 Formatting Data
Formatting Cache
Formatting uDisk
Formatting PAGECACHE
Formatting Swap
and something else that came and went quickly.

Booted up slower than normal.. No Touch Screen Q.Q after initial boot NOOOO!!!!  :'( :'( :'( went through the settings with my trackball and Calibration seems to be missing. Im so sad now Q.Q

#11 KeithKris

KeithKris

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Booted up slower than normal.. No Touch Screen Q.Q after initial boot NOOOO!!!!  :'( :'( :'( went through the settings with my trackball and Calibration seems to be missing. Im so sad now Q.Q

So it sounds like the drivers for your touch screen aren't in this rom.  I don't think you're bricked, but you'll need someone who has one of these tablets to provide you with a stock image.  Maybe someone who owns one would be willing to dump the image for you via adb and post it here.

#12 EAmbience

EAmbience

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:26 PM

So it sounds like the drivers for your touch screen aren't in this rom.  I don't think you're bricked, but you'll need someone who has one of these tablets to provide you with a stock image.  Maybe someone who owns one would be willing to dump the image for you via adb and post it here.

Yea it;s not bricked I can move around with the TrackBall lol, Now I just have to wait for that to happen so I can get back to my book reading. Oh yea I tried Root Explorer after loading up the rooted img and it wont let me Mount R/W when I get to the System Folder or APP folder. Just a little FYI =)

#13 Li0nHeart

Li0nHeart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:04 PM

Yea it;s not bricked I can move around with the TrackBall lol, Now I just have to wait for that to happen so I can get back to my book reading. Oh yea I tried Root Explorer after loading up the rooted img and it wont let me Mount R/W when I get to the System Folder or APP folder. Just a little FYI =)

That's because /system is still a cramfs.. it just has a couple of more files now, that give root access.

#14 solarsystem

solarsystem

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

Thanks guys, you just save my day..
I think the system crashed after I update the PDF reader from Adobe,
Beware to install it, it cause my Wopad to crash upon lunch the desktop,
So you have no access to the menu, any apps.

This rooted rom just to the rescue.. it save my day,
Very happy watching TV in the car, with Slingplayer with MyWi from my Iphone.
8)

Wopad Rooted

#15 melvincz

melvincz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

Flip3547, how have you dump the original .img file? Have you used a set of dd command to create individual .img files and pack them together later on? How?

Thank you,

Radek

#16 flip3547

flip3547

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

Look in the recovery image topic. Specifically post #10. I only dumped the image. fun_ added su and I flashed. I do not have enough know how to modify. Not yet anyway. I'm studying it now. We were just testing a theory. My method in this post is just how to flash whatever modified image you are using. The images I posted are for the Wopad. Hope this helps!

#17 Li0nHeart

Li0nHeart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

May fun_ can answer this... but with this update.img and some more tools it should be possible to compile a tun.ko right? (Also still learning)

#18 melvincz

melvincz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

Thanks, flip, I'm just trying to modify my own images (adding su, superuser) using the Archos/Windows method - I'm just looking for differencies between my images and your images :o Hopefully I will not *smile up my pad :)

Look in the recovery image topic. Specifically post #10. I only dumped the image. fun_ added su and I flashed. I do not have enough know how to modify. Not yet anyway. I'm studying it now. We were just testing a theory. My method in this post is just how to flash whatever modified image you are using. The images I posted are for the Wopad. Hope this helps!

#19 melvincz

melvincz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

Woooow, I've successfully created and flashed my own rooted ROM :o All hard work is still your because I've used your update.img and just replaced your .img files with my modified dumps.
We may say Milk Pad TR718D is also the device that may be rooted this way :)

Radek

#20 fun_

fun_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

can you mount /system in this ROM ??

I can test this ROM tomorrow on my apad RK2818 from hiapad

can you tell me result of my update.img which I sent?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users