Android Tablets Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[Topic Closed] Alternate White PDN firmware: Stock-based framework with Market

172K views 450 replies 110 participants last post by  mrsburnout 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Moderator edit:

08/19/13 - Topic closed for discussion. Mirror no longer valid or deleted. This FW is considered retired and not supported by developer.

~Mrsburnout

//edit

WARNING: If you have updated your Novel to the latest 2011 SH20 series of OP firmwares, you may have some issues loading this firmware. If your Novel is running versions based on 11/19/10 firmware, or anything older than that, or if you are already running v5, v5.01, v5.01, v5.02, v1.02, or any of roebeet's versions, you are fine.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU DO NOT LOAD THE SH20-SERIES 010311, 011111 & 011411 FIRMWARES IF YOU THINK YOU MIGHT REVERT BACK TO AN OLDER FIRMWARE UNTIL YOU READ AND UNDERSTAND THE METHODS TO REVERT BACK. REVERTING BACK IS NOT A BEGINNER PROCEDURE, AND REQUIRES SOME KNOWLEDGE TO DO IT SAFELY. THERE IS NO SAFE WAY TO JUST "FLASH" BACK DIRECTLY TO THE OLDER VERSIONS, BUT THERE ARE THREE KNOWN METHODS TO SAFELY REVERT BACK, 1) USING KEWLGUY'S FIXFLASH, 2) USING KEWLGUY'S BATCH FILE, OR 3) MANUALLY TYPING IN ADB COMMANDS TO IMAGE FLASH THE BOOTLOADER, RECOVERY AND KERNEL PARTITIONS INDIVIDUALLY BACK TO 11/19 BEFORE YOU REFLASH. SEVERAL BRICKS AND NEAR BRICKS HAVE BEEN CREATED BY REVERTING BACK FROM THOSE VERSIONS BY A SIMPLE FLASH, WHICH IS A RISKY PROCESS WITHOUT MANUALLY REVERTING THE PREVIOUSLY NAMED IMAGES FIRST. IF DONE PROPERLY, THERE IS NO PROBLEM REVERTING BACK. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I have ported roebeets V4.01 stocked-based firmware with google & market over to the PD 11/19 firmware release, and incorporated his update 10 fixes (su and rotation fix) all in one flash. It also has the missing calendar put back in it (thanks roebeet). It keeps all of his tweaks, has the button remap, the wifi tweak, 360 degree rotation, su, the droid fonts and busybox. To follow his naming scheme, I am calling this V5. This is the firmware version that lives along with the original pandigital apps. If that is what you want, this is for you. I still use and like some of the pandigitial apps (I use the thing as an eReader too) but I wanted to have everything else also, so I have been using roebeets work but also wanted to move it forward (for myself if nothing else).

So I can't claim a lot of smarts here, it isn't that complicated, but I thought I could take care of some of this mundane stuff while the smart guys are working on bigger and better things.

I have had one report of wifi problems, but I am not sure this isn't just the usual wifi issues or if it is somethin new. I have been running this a couple days now, and am pretty happy with it so far. It still has sleep issues, but I am hopeful the fix for that is getting closer. If the google accounts are not activated, it sleeps fine. As soon as you activate that stuff, the issues begin. You can have task killers killing task killers, and the thing still wakes up (when you are asleep). No lock, as nice as it is, seems to make things worse. I have one sleeping now with background sync turned off, no no-lock, and no task killers, and that is looking pretty positive. If/when a definative sleep fix arrives, I can put that in too.

You will have to fiddle with market a little to get it working. Run market, and enter the google account you want to use. Then run market again, you will get the server error. Now enter a second google account in Settings, Accounts & Sync, go back and try market, it should come up OK on the old market. Exit market, and give it a couple minutes as it will be updating to the new market, then try again and you should see the new format. This process has worked for me every time. (I am unclear if it would be safe to just pop the new Vending.apk in the firmware now or if it has to go through it's upgrade process...)

I am also running one with this version using the new 2d/3d accelerated graphics files, and that seems to work just fine. If that holds out for a few more days and a rash of problems don't surface, I can put that in too. (fps2d goes from 11 to 27 with the new video stuff.)

So here it is, would appreciate any reports of problems. I am particularly interested in video stutter reports, both my WPDNs are v2 boards and don't stutter. But since this is 11/19 firmware based, v1 boards might stutter? I don't have any way to test that.

EDIT - use v1.02B for v1 boards that stutter, the video is confirmed good on v1 boards with that 7/24 based version.

No user apps in here, use adb or market to get some apps loaded. If needed, I can make up a version with a file manager so you have a way to execute and install a downloaded .apk. I suggest getting home switcher and a file manager from the market to get started. Home switcher will let you have easier access to the original Novel home screen. (EDIT - file manager added so you can find and install apps downloaded with the PD web browser.)

If you don't have 11/19 yet there is really no need to install the official pandigital 11/19 first, this will do that anyway. Install this the normal way, preferably by copying to your sd card, make sure it is the only firmware file on it, turn on while holding volume up and power key for five seconds. If no sd card, copy it to PD_Novel and use the internal card. If things go wrong or you don't like it, just re-flash with the original pandigital firmware file of your choice.

KNOWN ISSUES:
1. sleep problem (of course)
2. market fix required to get market to work (use 2nd google account to activate)
3. confirmed video stutter on v1 boards (use v1.02 - 7/24 based ROM for this)
4. calendar.apk has minor display issues on v5.x (OK on v1.x) and DOES sync on both
5. some (not all) long youtube videos (5min +) crash media player, requiring a reboot or a command-line kill and restart of /system/bin/mediaserver

WARNING: If you have updated your Novel to the latest 1/11/11 or 1/14/11 SH20 series of OP firmwares, you may have some issues loading this firmware. If your Novel is running stock pandigital firmware 11/19/10, anything older than that, or if you are already running v5, v5.01, v5.01, v5.02, v1.02, or any of roebeet's versions, you are fine. Only the 2011 versions require extra steps to revert back before you attempt to flash this firmware.

PLEASE READ THE WARNING CONCERNING THIS AT THE TOP OF THIS POST.

FOR 7" WHITE PDN ONLY
SD_PDN_5_02B_GE_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip

Changes is 5.02A:
1. headset transfer fixed
2. device properly rooted - Titanium Backup OK now
3. Pandigital 11/19 wifi improvements are there now (didn't help much)
4. youtube included as a system app
5. updated hosts file (blocks some malware and adware)
6. statusbarsetup app to allow you to make the soft buttons bigger (v5.x only)
7. has modeuce's 2d/3d graphics libraries in it (no more V version)
8. I forgot one of the 2d/3d files in the original 5.02 updater, run the updater again please

Changes in 5.02B, all the above in 5.02A plus:
1. a better google Calendar is here, works fine in 1.02B and has a funny orange bar at the top in 5.02B but still way better than the old one (I am working on the orange bar)
2. a newer version of youtube, that allows you to turn HQ video on and off. this is likely the latest version of youtube we will be able to run on Eclair based builds. youtube still has an issue where certain, but not all, long videos crash the PD media player, requiring a reboot. (I am working on that too, but no resolution yet.)

Changes in 5.1, all the above plus:
1. A better YouTube app, the one that was floating around here on the forum. Allows full 360 degree rotation while playing a video, and selectable safesite filters. If you have any trouble getting youtube to run after running the updater, go to Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, and clear the cache on the YouTube app. Still may crash on certain long videos, that is a Pandigital issue not a youtube app issue.
2. The wifi supplicant code that allows adhoc (tethering) is in here now. I have not tested it, but all the other builds (OPDN) are using it so I assume it works.
3. A symbolic link to /system/bin/su is in there now for those poorly written apps that need root and assume it lives in /system/bin instead of just relying on the system path to find it.
4. Small change to build.prop to show the version on Settings, About Phone

A 1.1 updater will follow shortly.

5.1 Updater (for V5, V5.01, V5.01V, V5.02, V5.02A & V5.02B)

FOR v1 BOARDS ONLY WITH VIDEO STUTTER
Further description of V1.02 here

SD_PDN_1_02B_GE_S10_07_24_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip

1.02B Updater (for V1.02)

Changes to 1.02B are the same as 5.02B (above)

{Moderator Note: For discussion and software links to previous versions of this series of modified stock firmware with Market, please see Roebeet's original thread. Alternate WPDN firmware (roebeet v1 to v4 version): Stock-based, with Gapps ~Mark}

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll get this linked in the wiki when I get a chance. I'd like to see some feedback on it from everybody so we can put it's capabilities/quirks in the compare/contrast matrix.

Oh, and I'm Bolding the White PDN ONLY warning for ya.

#3 ·
Gotta new ($60) v1 today at a Kohls clearance. It'll be a day or so before I get a chance to put it on there, but I'll report back when I do.

Sent from my Hacked PDN TriCorder via Tapatalk

#4 ·
Thanks for the FW, first of all, and for all of the work that the community puts into these updates.

The WiFi and Market work as you described. The only issue that I'm currently having with it is that the audio plays out of the speakers even with head phones plugged in. I'm aware this isn't a new issue.

http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital-novel-android-tablet-discussion/7827-plays-through-both-headphones-built-speakers.html

However, the solutions prescribed don't solve the problem. I believe this must be an issue with the FW rather than the grounds or boards as proposed earlier. I've used the headphone jack with the correct behavior with the stock FW and also with JackBox's 3.0.1 at http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=8993.0 . Neither have exhibited this behavior. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

#5 ·
Thanks Mac for this verison.
After few efforts got my new PDN (My second one) working with this Mod. So far I like the mod.

Few suggestions: As you have mentioned add a file manager and home switcher to the build. I wanted to use few Apps in my sdcard like Nolock, WiFi Widget etc to start with before getting the Market working.

Screen lock is nuisance and Vol up button helps get out of lock. Had hard time moving the lock to unlock and Vol Up helped me.

Good Job Mac. Thanks again.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
1. earphones/headsets - you are right about that, I never actually tried them. this was this way in the earlier builds too, so not something I just introduced

so I tried it, and it is bizarre. If you push the earphone jack in just a little bit, till the internal speakers DO mute, then push it in the rest of the way, it works properly and stays that way. if you plug it in normally, fast, all at once, it does not transfer.

so a workaround for the moment is to plug them in just a hair till you hear the speakers mute, then go all in. wierd, huh?

2. as for getting your current apps before moving to this version, you have several choices. easiest is probably to "adb pull /data/app" will bring them all on your PC, then "adb install yourappname.apk" one at a time in the new version.

if you don't have adb, you can copy them all from /data/app to your sdcard using a file manager, then update the device, get a file manager from the market, then use the file manager to run them one at a time to re-install them

or you can look at this thread, more of an intermediate to advanced technique, and make your own image flash of the userdata area:

http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=4885.0

if you go this route, you want to make a flash with just the userdata not the system too

3. I will put a file manager in the next version, as a system app, so as to leave the userdata area untouched. I will probably have an update sooner or later that is non-destructive to go over the V5, so can put it there too (file manager is in 5.01 now)

#8 ·
Just put this on, I was running V4 before. Had no problem with Market or WiFi and the WiFi here at work doesn't always like certain devices. Just putting my apps back but so far no issue.
Calendar is one thing I'm interested in, will try that later and will post back if I come across any other issues.

#10 ·
Personally I like the smaller buttons.

Tried calendar and it says it synced in the settings, but I've tried several calendar apps that sync with Google and it's not populating. I tried Jorte, Business Calendar and Touch Calendar...other than that everything else seems to work fine.

#11 ·
make sure you have calendar set to sync in Settings, Accounts & Sync? Gmail, calendar and contacts all have a seperate sync on/off

I haven't had any problems at all syncing the calendar. Only problem I have is the blanked out blue color in the main calendar. Agenda view works, everything is there, but can't figure out why the screen is blue. So I just use Jorte. The calendar in there is for Android 2.1 with a build.prop SDK=7, and our devices are SDK=5 (2.0). But so far that does not seem to matter too much, other than the blue screen issue.

Keep fiddling with it, I have it working on two devices and works 1st time every time flash after flash...

#14 ·
Thanks for the tip on the headphones Mac. The slow insertion usually allows the speakers to mute correctly on my device. Given this behavior I would normally agree this is likely a hardware issue. However, with the apparent lack of the issue with two other firmwares, it seems like this still needs to be related to the firmware. It doesn't seem very likely that the hardware would be misbehaving with one firmware and not with another. I did flash V4 and, as you mentioned, it also has the speaker / headphone problem. No doubt, this isn't a major issue, especially since you've provided a work around. More of an annoyance.
Thanks again for the help

#15 ·
yup, I agree with you, it didn't do this on the original PD software as I found out yesterday when I checked a little deeper.

so I agree it is mod related, and not hardware. will have to get some one who knows more than me to comment on it, but glad we have a work-around in the meanwhile.

I am beginning to think it is speed related - I suspect all the mods slow things down somewhat, and maybe it just doesn't look for a transfer as fast as it used to, on the original PD software, when it was really mean and lean.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Now that the 5.01 version has a file manager (thanks for the suggestion) you can install this completely without any PC intervention.

I just tried it, here is a procedure that works for a completely stand-alone install without having a PC to help in any way. Also there are some notes on how to navigate around, which applies to most of the modified firmwares:

1. from Novel original home screen, open settings, then click network tab, and set up wifi

2. open Novel's browser, go to www.slatedroid.com, browse to this thread

3. on the Novel, click on link to download the firmware file

4. MAKE SURE THERE IS NO EXTERNAL SDCARD PLUGGED IN (to force upgrade from internal card, which is where your download went)

5. power down, and reflash novel by holding on switch and volume up for 5 seconds

6. when Novel reboots, click Home as the home screen

7. you can plug your external sdcard back in now, if you have one

8. go to the apps drawer, and run the original PDInitialSetup app to set time zone

9. wait for Novel home screen to appear, then press the volume down (back) key to get back to the Android home screen

10. set up wifi again using Wifi Settings (on desktop)

11. get market working (see original post in this thread) OR

12. download a 3rd party app installer, such as aptoide, locate it with file manager
in [root], then PD_Novel, then the download folder, and run it to install (you will need to check Unknown Sources in Settings, Applications to be able to install non-market apps)

Some suggested housekeeping apps to help you get started:

HOME SWITCHER (from market) - this will allow you to switch between the original Novel home screen and the Android home screen at will. Once you install this, you can click remember this setting when the Novel asks you which home screen you want - click remember this setting, and select Home as the home screen. Now it won't bother asking you any more, but you can use Home Switcher to launch either at will.

ANY CUT (from market) - this allows you to make a shortcut from any Android task. Use this to create a shortcut to the original Novel home screen, if you want. Click New shortcut, Activity, scroll to com.fsc.app.launcher.PDLauncher. If you want, you can edit the name of the shortcut now to something more meaningful, like PD Home, then click OK.

Navigating Around

As you probably have read, the volume keys are re-mapped to a couple of the more critical Android functions. You will also see at the top of the screen, in the
notification bar, there are also six icons you can click. They are small and
a little difficult to click, but they work.

VOLUME UP - Android menu key
VOLUME DOWN - Android back key

In notification bar (not available on v1.02):

Home Icon - Android home key

Wrench Icon - Android menu key

Back Arrow Icon - Android back key

Speaker Icon - Android volume up key. Switches by context, will be media volume when something is playing

Speaker X Icon - Android volume down key. Switches by context, will be media down when something is playing

Aother icon shows up when the volume is turned down to zero, to reming you of that

#17 ·
Wow!!! All I can say is THANKS!!!!! This is fantastic. I wanted a 2nd tablet as I have a Archos 101, but wanted something for the kids and wife. Picked this up yesterday for $60, I was lucky to find one and after being on a few boards, found this thread.

I love the fact I can still get back to the main interface if needed. No real point at this time to do the full firmware hack, other than performance I guess, or am I missing something.

Again, many thanks for making this mod!!!

#18 ·
HI, i just got me Pd yesterday and tried so many time of flashing my device because i want to get the market working. after a long time of learning, i found this newer version of V5. I have a stupid question, how do i adding a second account to the market because everytime i connected to the market, i got an erro message and have to shut down the program.  thanks if anyone want to help.

#19 ·
Got Sync set in settings for calendar and selected that email in all three apps I have installed, also selected US holidays, the only thing that show up is the holidays. Will try to uncheck it in settings and reset it, but if anyone else ideas let me know.

Other than that everything running smooth as silk, WiFi actually locks in better than the V4.

Tried a couple of other home screen apps and they acted kind of odd so decided to stick with the original, no issues just wanted to try it.

#20 ·
[quote author=termn8er link=topic=14033.msg113438#msg113438 date=1294329599]
Wow!!! All I can say is THANKS!!!!! This is fantastic. I wanted a 2nd tablet as I have a Archos 101, but wanted something for the kids and wife. Picked this up yesterday for $60, I was lucky to find one and after being on a few boards, found this thread.

I love the fact I can still get back to the main interface if needed. No real point at this time to do the full firmware hack, other than performance I guess, or am I missing something.

Again, many thanks for making this mod!!!
[/quote]

termn8er said exactly what I wanted to say. This firmware is great and I love that I can go back and forth between the PD homescreen and the main android one.

I haven't really had a ton of time to play with my device but I am really impressed with the overall quality even on the stock firmware considering that it only cost me $60.

#22 ·
OK, this is going to sound pretty stupid, but I can't get the screen to unlock. I put it to sleep, I get the lock-slide icon but not matter how I do it, it doesn't unlock and goes back to sleep a few moments later.

I did a search but a lot of what I found while searching "can't unlock android" was related to people trying to root their phone. I could obviously reset, but as I'm sure this will happen again, I'd like to find out what I'm doing wrong.

#26 ·
This is by far my favorite firmware however I have 2 issues. I commend you an all the good work.

1. Calendar will not sync it just keeps trying for ever and ever.
2. The stock web-browser cuts off the top of the page by default. It seems to be a skined pandigial version of the google browser. can we unskin it so it matches stock android or replace it with stock?

Requests would be to put the Google gallery in also

As far as questions go
it wont let me find/download the updated gmail client in the marketplace any idea why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.