• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 StarfighterXYZ

StarfighterXYZ

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

Ok, I finally had to post this.

I have bricked  SUCCESSFULLY bricked and brought back a Velocity Micro cruz Reader (NOT PANDIGITAL).    I am 99% I know what the problem is, but I need a way to fix it.

History
---------------------------------------------------------
1 - Bought from store
2 - flashed
3 - bricked while trying to load Every ROM on this site EXCEPT Panda Bomb.
4 - 3 days later, the Panda Bomb ROM works. ** SEE BELOW ** Touch screen is not calibrated, and the OS contains NO means to calibrate. android normally contains a way to calibrate your screen, but the Panda Bomb does not have this feautre (?? Why) Android Market loads, but can not install any app. Eror message is that it can not download any app. Other Google apps work, internet works, kindle works, Adobe PDF Reader had to be manually added to External SD card.

Now
------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Micro SD card -- formatted

external SD Card -- has been formatted, contains only a start up rom.

Holding VOLUME UP + POWER  worked, and tried to install the VM ROM.  The adroid screen with the progress bar  appeared to work. It completed and went into a White Scree + Cruz Loop.
- holding VOLUME UP + POWER Now DOES NOT WORK.
- I suspect a startup script is preventing this from working now.  I can not connect via ADB anymore, due to the loop. The Loop partially boots the device (suspect only) and then fails at some point (due to start up script?) and then reboots on failure.

Possible solution :  Format the Internal micro sd card some how? either by removing it and using an adapter??

UPDATE:  Upon removal of the internal Micro SD Card, I plugged it into a usb adapter ( thumstick that allows you to insert a micro sd card into it)  I plugged that into my computer nad it recognizes the drive, but can not read it.

#42 timnix

timnix

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

Thank you we just used the steps from Cheap-O-Reader and it worked great. Saved me hours of frustration.

#43 chronus

chronus

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

Flashed my stock R101 with the jdm firmware 3.1. After a number of failed attempts I managed to get apps2sd working on my internal sd card. Anyways, I want to go back to stock firmware, so I disabled apps2sd and loaded up the stock firmware on an external sdcard (formatted fat32).

Oddly enough I can't get it to flash the stock firmware. Pressing power and up shows the CRUZ logo screen, then it reboots constantly while I hold those 2 buttons. Once I release them, it can boot up back into jdm

Any thoughts? Someone posted something about a kernel partition on the internal sd card is needed?

Not sure what to do next, but something is blocking me from flashing a new firmware.

thanks.

chronus

#44 bkilgore91

bkilgore91

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:17 AM

I have bricked  SUCCESSFULLY bricked and brought back a Velocity Micro cruz Reader (NOT PANDIGITAL).    I am 99% I know what the problem is, but I need a way to fix it.

History
1 - Bought from store
2 - flashed
4 - 3 days later, the Panda Bomb ROM works. ** SEE BELOW ** Touch screen is not calibrated, and the OS contains NO means to calibrate. android normally contains a way to calibrate your screen, but the Panda Bomb does not have this feautre (?? Why) Android Market loads, but can not install any app. Eror message is that it can not download any app. Other Google apps work, internet works, kindle works, Adobe PDF Reader had to be manually added to External SD card.

Now

Holding VOLUME UP + POWER  worked, and tried to install the VM ROM.  The adroid screen with the progress bar  appeared to work. It completed and went into a White Scree + Cruz Loop.
- I suspect a startup script is preventing this from working now.  I can not connect via ADB anymore, due to the loop. The Loop partially boots the device (suspect only) and then fails at some point (due to start up script?) and then reboots on failure.

Possible solution :  Format the Internal micro sd card some how? either by removing it and using an adapter??

UPDATE:  Upon removal of the internal Micro SD Card, I plugged it into a usb adapter ( thumstick that allows you to insert a micro sd card into it)  I plugged that into my computer nad it recognizes the drive, but can not read it.

I am having this same problem and cannot get to recovery now.  Any ideas or return?

#45 ric64

ric64

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:06 PM

History
1 - Bought from store
2 - flashed

Now

I'm having the same problem; started when I formated the internal microSD card, and I suspect that this actually caused the problem.  Since I have two units, I'll try to mirror the "good" internal card to see if that will bring it back to life.

#46 gjbnh

gjbnh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

Ya know guys, with all the format problems people are having, could it be the VM used a old format program in their OS?? OR inferior hardware is causing all this.....wonders out loud. (can someone say class action suit??)

#47 ric64

ric64

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

Success!  Not sure how I got it going again, but after restoring the internal SD card to orignal factory, then unplugging the battery and holding both power/volume up button while I plugged the AC adapter it got it going again after a few tries.

FYI, it got "bricked" after installing the modified Macho ROM from Panda and re-formating the internal SD card; model is R101

#48 jgm

jgm

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

it seems R101 is not compatible with modified u-boot.bin

#49 elporko

elporko

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

Success!  Not sure how I got it going again, but after restoring the internal SD card to orignal factory, then unplugging the battery and holding both power/volume up button while I plugged the AC adapter it got it going again after a few tries.

FYI, it got "bricked" after installing the modified Macho ROM from Panda and re-formating the internal SD card; model is R101

So, how did you mirror the original factory settings? Could you upload them somewhere- I'm having the same problem with my R101 where it is stuck on the cruz screen and nothing has been capable of bringing it back.

#50 ric64

ric64

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

So, how did you mirror the original factory settings? Could you upload them somewhere- I'm having the same problem with my R101 where it is stuck on the cruz screen and nothing has been capable of bringing it back.

I used Acronis True Image to create a backup of the second sd, then restored it on the re-formatted one.  I try to updload the image tomorrow if this would help.

#51 BoSoxFan

BoSoxFan

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

I think the R103 V2 is screwed, I can not get it to load any custom roms, bricked 2 so far, returned the 1st, got the second one back, but I had to remove the internal SD card then I flashed the updated VM Firmware ROM twice, installed the SD card (did not format it) and it booted up fine... I thought I was going to have to return another...

#52 radioman52

radioman52

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

I think the R103 V2 is screwed, I can not get it to load any custom roms, bricked 2 so far, returned the 1st, got the second one back, but I had to remove the internal SD card then I flashed the updated VM Firmware ROM twice, installed the SD card (did not format it) and it booted up fine... I thought I was going to have to return another...

Wow.
This sounds like what PDN was telling their users a few weeks ago:"Open unit,Remove the internal SD card put FW on external SD card then Ilashe the updated Firmware ROM twice, reinstalled the SD card and boot unit" they even had pictures showing haow to open the PDN.....

Recently PDN has issued updates  (at least two in January)
As well PDN now has Windoz software that  connects  using the USB and looks at the PDN and recomends what FW is availabel and will download it.
With the latest PDN FW you do not need to remove the internal SD card Now they are showing a method similar to VC .

I wonder if that FRANKENCRUZ 800MHz FW that was pulled from the  PDN boot  is some how causing the problems, the boot is what determins how you will start thing and that includes "recovery"..
Some one has to look at the LATEST PDN FW and see if the boot was changed this can be the solution for the Cruz Reader.

#53 huskie

huskie

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

I am also stuck at the Cruz logo loop.
I flashed the stock rom from VM website then did JGMs 533. after first reboot it went into loop.
I can flash different ROMs but it never breaks the CRUZ loop cycle.
I have tried the PDN fix, removing the internal card, but nothing seems to break the cycle.
I do notice that when I flash a new ROM it seems to go very fast through the loading of the ROM.

Any help would be appreciated  Please let me know if there is any info that may help.

#54 dr_bunsen

dr_bunsen

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:28 PM

I used Acronis True Image to create a backup of the second sd, then restored it on the re-formatted one.  I try to updload the image tomorrow if this would help.

Could you upload the image like you mentioned.  I'm stuck on white screen after trying the Panda ROM.  Seems like my recovery is messed up and your post gives me some hope I might be able to fix this.

#55 chelman

chelman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

UPDATE I FIXED IT

ok i have officialy brought the unit's back to full functioning stock firmware here is what i did

ok after having a boot loop and no shell access nothing i went in search of a solution figuring my devices were gonners i thought what was the harm so after 2 days i did it and here is how

i downloaded this
http://www.mediafire...yrdd2f40xg6qdq1

i then formated my sd card in fat32 and renamed that file to PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip

i put that into the cruz readers sd slot and booted the device into recovery mode )hold power and volume up untill you see the little robot and the status bar)
be patient it can take up to 5 min to flash the first time yes i said the first time
ok as soon as it reboots hold the power and volume up button again you may have to push the reset button while holding the power and up button
and again once it boots into recovery release the buttons and let it flash

ok flashing step 1 done you should see a boot screen that says pandigital novel if so good work so far if not flash again becauyse so far this is your only option to repair your device

ok if all is well so far take your sd card and format it yet again as fat32 and put the factory velocity micro flash from their support page on it
put it in your cruz reader and hold the power and volume up and then hit the reset button while continuing to hold the power and vol up button release the restt button and keep holding the power and vol up button it should boot into the recovery again let it falsh again it mayu thake a little time. once it has finished it will reboot with a white screen at that point push the power and vol up button and tap reset again continue holding the power and vol up button it should boot into recovery again and let it load

once done the device should boot up properly in the original firmware

hope this helps and if their is any clerification needed ask

[move]THIS IS A LAST RESORT USE AT YOUR OWN RISK[/move]

I held the buttons While the Cruz logo was on for longer than five minutes and it never got into recovery mode. Any other ideas?

#56 chelman

chelman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:24 PM

I am also stuck at the Cruz logo loop.
I flashed the stock rom from VM website then did JGMs 533. after first reboot it went into loop.
I can flash different ROMs but it never breaks the CRUZ loop cycle.
I have tried the PDN fix, removing the internal card, but nothing seems to break the cycle.
I do notice that when I flash a new ROM it seems to go very fast through the loading of the ROM.

Any help would be appreciatedĀ  Please let me know if there is any info that may help.

This exactly what happened to me. I'm stuck at the Cruz logo loop. I've tried everything on this forum. Is there a JTAG solution?

#57 chelman

chelman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:08 PM

if you cant go into recovery you have a HARD BRICKED 100% paperweight wondering what caused that as i did everything under the sun to mine and it did not do that it would atleast go to recovery mode.

what rev unit you using r101 r102 r103 it will be listed on the barcode on the box it came in on the bottom

your next best bet is to return it to the store or place you got it from say VM would not help and refused return for some reasonĀ  but make it sound good DO NOT MENTION YOU FALSHED A NEW FILE just say it stoped and wont work

unless you have a deep knowledge of electronics and know how or a way to preform a nand jtag you are stuck unless you can return it

Does anyone know how to do a nand JTAG? Please post some instructions! TIA.

#58 Bill-D

Bill-D

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

UPDATE I FIXED IT

ok i have officialy brought the unit's back to full functioning stock firmware here is what i did

ok after having a boot loop and no shell access nothing i went in search of a solution figuring my devices were gonners i thought what was the harm so after 2 days i did it and here is how

i downloaded this
http://www.mediafire...yrdd2f40xg6qdq1

i then formated my sd card in fat32 and renamed that file to PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip

i put that into the cruz readers sd slot and booted the device into recovery mode )hold power and volume up untill you see the little robot and the status bar)
be patient it can take up to 5 min to flash the first time yes i said the first time
ok as soon as it reboots hold the power and volume up button again you may have to push the reset button while holding the power and up button
and again once it boots into recovery release the buttons and let it flash

ok flashing step 1 done you should see a boot screen that says pandigital novel if so good work so far if not flash again becauyse so far this is your only option to repair your device

ok if all is well so far take your sd card and format it yet again as fat32 and put the factory velocity micro flash from their support page on it
put it in your cruz reader and hold the power and volume up and then hit the reset button while continuing to hold the power and vol up button release the restt button and keep holding the power and vol up button it should boot into the recovery again let it falsh again it mayu thake a little time. once it has finished it will reboot with a white screen at that point push the power and vol up button and tap reset again continue holding the power and vol up button it should boot into recovery again and let it load

once done the device should boot up properly in the original firmware

hope this helps and if their is any clerification needed ask

[move]THIS IS A LAST RESORT USE AT YOUR OWN RISK[/move]

Thank you for this post. On the second attempt I got the note about the reset at the white screen after the initial load of the factory image. This process restored a system that has been bricked for about 6 months.

#59 nicknvee1

nicknvee1

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:52 AM

Hello,

I've been having the same problem with my reader. I can't seem to download from the links in your posts, they are dead. Is it possible for you to post a new link or the files that are needed for this process. Thanks

#60 confusedandneedhelp

confusedandneedhelp

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

Thank you for this post. On the second attempt I got the note about the reset at the white screen after the initial load of the factory image. This process restored a system that has been bricked for about 6 months.

the link isnt working....is there any other sites?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users