How to Get SuperUser.apk working correctly and install busybox

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xeronuro

xeronuro

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:10 PM

This guide assumes you have a working Android SDK installation.
If you need to install it go to http://www.slatedroi...p?topic=12820.0 to step 2 and it tells you everything you need to download and install.

I have only performed this on my Cruz R101 Ereader, but it should work for other tablets.
Why would I want to root it this way and not use MachoMan's rom? 
1.  The main reason is that MachoMan's rom won't allow me to connect to Wireless networks that do not broadcast a SSID.

Step 1. su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=682828
Step 2. Extract Superuser.apk and su from the zip file to c:su
Step 3. Plug in the reader to your PC
Step 3. From a command window type adb shell. You should now be at a # prompt
Step 4. Paste in the following commands:
a) mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
B) sync
c) exit
Step 5. Paste the following commands in the command prompt:
a) adb push c:susu /system/bin/su
:) adb push c:suSuperuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
c) adb shell reboot

Your device will now reboot.

Installing Busybox: If everything worked correctly you should now be able to download the busybox installer(BusyBox
by Stephen (Stericson))  from one of the many online repositories.

Once you install the busybox installer go ahead and open the application and click install. It should say Done!  Exit the installer.

You now have root and busybox.

What can I do now?  You can now use one of the many root only apps such as TitaniumBackup or Root explorer. Your Cruz ereader is now yours!

#2 Sluggo

Sluggo

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

OK...so I admit that I am new to the whole droid thing, but I am comfortable with programming other crap.  I am having some issues with your instructions.  This line:
a) adb push c:susu /system/bin/su
appears to have one too many su's in it.  Not trying to be picky, but rather it took me a few tries to figure out what I was doing wrong.  I have unzipped everything in the manner suggested by the instructions and when I enter the command 'exit' mentioned in the first 'C', it exits the shell and the rest of the instructions won't work.  I think that needs to be moved to the end of the entire instruction set list.  When I do get to the line where I type the 'adb push' command for the su, what I get looks like this:

# adb push c:su /system/bin/su
adb push c:su /system/bin/su
adb: not found

And I get the same thing with the supersuer command line.  I must be doing something wrong. 

Once again, I am not trying to be nit-picky or point out things that are wrong as I am not familiar enough with this to do so.  I am just trying to learn and any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

#3 Sluggo

Sluggo

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

So I got to thinking...maybe the device isn't rooted.  I will get back to you on this.

Edit:  just ran the root commands posted by Roebeet some time ago.  Will now try your instructions once again and report back.

Edit Furthur...no dice with any of it.  I finally justy dragged the superuser apk to the sd card and installed it.