How do you make a backup of an image?

#42 BigD

BigD

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:41 PM

How do you make a backup of an image?

I've found that the easiest way to backup and install the firmware is using AndroidTouchPC's Touch8 updater tool. I wish their tutorial had shown some better detail on how to backup your original firmware prior to installing a new one. Here's the steps I used to back mine up:

Make sure your tablet is fully charged

1. Put the Android drivers folder on your PC
2. Make sure that usb debugging is selected to "on" in the tablets device settings (under settings/applications/development)
3. Insert your SD card into the external slot (pretty sure it does not have to have the update.atp file on it, but not 100% sure... it does need right at 4 gigs of free space though)
4. Connect tablet to PC and turn it on
5. Point the windows hardware manager to the folder containing the drivers and allow it to install them
Note: Do not use the "connect to usb" on the tablet, the software will find it
6. Start the Touch8 Updater program
7. Click on "Use USB" button
8. Verify that pop up shows "Tablet Detected" (do not continue until it shows this, you may have to switch usb ports until you find one it will see the tablet on)
9. Once it has detected your tablet, select the "Backup Current" button and walk away for about 15 mins or so. There will be no indication that the tablet is doing anything and no timer will pop up like when using the "flash" button. The tablet will reboot once the backup is made, that will be your indicator that it is complete. You can verify that it's complete by checking for the "backup.atp" file on the SD card. Copy it to your PC and keep in a safe place.

D

#43 JanJans

JanJans

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:15 AM

@BigD

Thank you for the info, gonna  check it out.

#44 nerd1

nerd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:03 AM

I've found that the easiest way to backup and install the firmware is using AndroidTouchPC's Touch8 updater tool.

G'day BigD, do you know where I can find the link for the touch8 updater? 

I've been trying to locate the download link for some time now but I cannot find it.

#45 Mp4

Mp4

Admin Ninja

• Administrators
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:15 AM

U have to go to android touch website and pay the 5 dollars .its well worth it and helps them keep developing

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

#46 brightJoker

brightJoker

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:06 AM

Hey all, running 12-22 update, some things I still notice wrong: no lock screen and my external sd is still not recognized. Otherwise all other features seem great!

-> A tip for apps not found in market (ie. Pocket Legends), check the developer websites or Google the app name with ".apk". Just make sure "Unknown Sources"  is checked under Application Settings. Pocket Legends has a direct download link on their site :P

#47 uchim

uchim

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:00 AM

Hello BigD,
I am new user for this apad, I had with dual speaker, but from beginning I am not able to use Youtube or other flash site,
I have installed 12.22 but end with g-sensor problem (gonna test your solution, still downloading)
any way to run youtube I have installed and reinstalled flash player 10.1?
thanks

#48 mogrith

mogrith

SlateGeek / Wiki Mod

• Global Administrator
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationBrea, CA

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

Hey all, running 12-22 update, some things I still notice wrong: no lock screen and my external sd is still not recognized. Otherwise all other features seem great!

-> A tip for apps not found in market (ie. Pocket Legends), check the developer websites or Google the app name with ".apk". Just make sure "Unknown Sources"  is checked under Application Settings. Pocket Legends has a direct download link on their site :)

Is this with or without the Touch8 ROM?

Without that rom check the /extsd folder. With that ROM it should be /sdcard and what wads the default folder before is found under /disk

#49 brightJoker

brightJoker

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:06 PM

I have the Touch8 ROM, however my internal sd (4gb) is too small to hold the update, so I am trying to set up my external to be read as sdcard.  After I get the Touch8 on there, is it a good idea to run the 12-22 IMX update also?

#50 mogrith

mogrith

SlateGeek / Wiki Mod

• Global Administrator
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationBrea, CA

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:41 PM

That is what I did. you get the 'new' android market that way.

#51 2ch

2ch

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:23 AM

New firmware  date 2011 1/1
http://www.padbbs.ne...d-4127-1-1.html
available for 3g and USB camera.

This is for originals of Utopia Apad8" http://rapidshare.co...ao-20100106.rar

HUAWEI E1750  3G
Huawei Brand New Original ultra slim USB modem
E1750
Huawei E1750 USB Modem Details:
Huawei E1750 Modem(Also AirCard E1750 ) Specifications

•UMTS 2100MHz
•GSM/GPRS/EDGE(850/900/1800/1900MHz)
•Support:
HSDPA data transfer speed up to 7.2Mbps
HSUPA date transfer speed up to 5.76Mbps.
•Support PC voice (optional) and SMS services
•Support data statistics
•Micro SD card reader (up to 4GB)
•Plug & Play
•Support Windows 2000/XP/Vista and Mac Operating Systems
•Weight:30g
•Size Dimensions: 70.1×25.6×11.6mm.

The Huawei E1750 HSPA USB Modem is an ultra slim USB modem that is ideal for users who need high speed data on the move. The Huawei E1750 HSPA USB Modem provides the latest plug and play USB modem solution with a modern elegant design.

Installation is straight forward plug and play and does not require any additional software or drivers. Simply place your data enabled SIM (not included) into the Huawei E1750 HSPA USB Modem and plug modem into the USB slot on your laptop.

#52 kersey

kersey

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:34 AM

Have just installed the 12-22 update...what a difference it has made.

Not sure what firmware was on the tablet when i received it but I was quite disappointed by the performance but after flashing things are now great - the screen is a lot brighter, performance is faster and the screen is a lot more responsive.

Thanks to you guys for posting the firmware.

I do have a question though, my screen doesn't turn off completely, it just dims after the 1 minute I've set it to. Is there anyway to turn off the screen completely???

Cheers

#53 pphilipp

pphilipp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

I do have a question though, my screen doesn't turn off completely, it just dims after the 1 minute I've set it to. Is there anyway to turn off the screen completely???

I use a free app from market called "Screen Off". It is a widget I keep on the home screen. I push it one time and it darkens the screen completely. Push the physical home button to bring it back on again.

#54 kersey

kersey

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:27 AM

I use a free app from market called "Screen Off". It is a widget I keep on the home screen. I push it one time and it darkens the screen completely. Push the physical home button to bring it back on again.

Thanks mate, will give that a try later.  I assume it is normal behaviour that these tablets don't turn off the screen completely then!!!

#55 uchim

uchim

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

New firmware  date 2011 1/1
http://www.padbbs.ne...d-4127-1-1.html
available for 3g and USB camera.

This is for originals of Utopia Apad8" http://rapidshare.co...ao-20100106.rar

HUAWEI E1750  3G
Huawei Brand New Original ultra slim USB modem
E1750
Huawei E1750 USB Modem Details:
Huawei E1750 Modem(Also AirCard E1750 ) Specifications

•UMTS 2100MHz
•GSM/GPRS/EDGE(850/900/1800/1900MHz)
•Support:
HSDPA data transfer speed up to 7.2Mbps
HSUPA date transfer speed up to 5.76Mbps.
•Support PC voice (optional) and SMS services
•Support data statistics
•Micro SD card reader (up to 4GB)
•Plug & Play
•Support Windows 2000/XP/Vista and Mac Operating Systems
•Weight:30g
•Size Dimensions: 70.1×25.6×11.6mm.

The Huawei E1750 HSPA USB Modem is an ultra slim USB modem that is ideal for users who need high speed data on the move. The Huawei E1750 HSPA USB Modem provides the latest plug and play USB modem solution with a modern elegant design.

Installation is straight forward plug and play and does not require any additional software or drivers. Simply place your data enabled SIM (not included) into the Huawei E1750 HSPA USB Modem and plug modem into the USB slot on your laptop.

I have tried to flash the update
but no luck, still got g-sensor problem
mine has 2 speaker and it's not from utopia
any way to solve g-sensor? I've tried z-root to edit sensor files but no succes
or anyway to edit system.img so I can replace g-sensor file with my backup?

thanks to all member

#56 Zodick

Zodick

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:57 AM

already try 2011/1/1 with no problem. The pad launch smoothly with wifi problem. This problem dissappear by power off and on only first time after finish flash.

This rom 2011/1/1 came with some chinese browser. Can we remove this application?

As far as I knew for newbies, it's available for the app we install ourselves, not the app from the rom, anyway to uninstall it?

Thanks.

#57 2ch

2ch

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:16 AM

WHen I did flash firmware,  Does not write mmc error. I failede New firmware.

SO Someone help me. Do you have a 4G Rom on firimware 2011 01 07 (3G))

I want to new firmware. My tablet is dual speaker model.

i watched this video
http://www.slatedroi...07325#msg107325

I wish latest rom

I need Rom like a first god poursoul

#58 chopsumbongw

chopsumbongw

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

Hey guys. I see a lot of you guys having trouble with this tablet, I am a student and would like to get a budget tablet for browsing, watching videos, reading e-books and the occasional games. I want to know if this is a good choice, its has a decently sized screen and equally powered processor. I have watched/read all the reviews, but its a mixed bag.
Could you give me a honest opinion. I don't mind doing a little leg work to get it in order but it should at least be usable.

Regards
Austin

#59 DominionZA

DominionZA

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

I cannot find the download link for this firmware. I did translate the page.
Can someone help with a link please?

TIA - Mike

Sent from my imx51_bbg using Tapatalk

#60 pphilipp

pphilipp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

I have watched/read all the reviews, but its a mixed bag.
Could you give me a honest opinion. I don't mind doing a little leg work to get it in order but it should at least be usable.

You're right Austin, it is a mixed bag. I've had mine several weeks now (this is my 3rd sub-$200 Android tablet) and have enjoyed much about this device. This is the best overall of the three... other two were an Eken and a Wits A81. What I've found is that all Chinese cheapos have their strengths... and a whole bag of weaknesses. This is no exception. The biggest weakness of this one is the shaky screen.

It boils down to:
How lucky will you be? Maybe you'll get a perfect tablet or perhaps you'll end-up with one that has issues. Mine comes close to perfection, except the darn screen!! Quality control is so low that anything goes (but this will also be true of almost any electronics you order from China which doesn't have a western counterpart).

Since you will have to give and take on features/performance, what are you willing to gamble on? This tablet does have a good processor. Mine easily plays videos and does most of it's other functions well. The 8" screen is an ideal size... not too big, not too small. Don't forget... Froyo! My stinkin' Wits A81 was supposed to be an Android device but didn't have any hardware buttons or software buttons to compensate!! It couldn't deliver what was promised. This device delivers. (barely on screen touch performance though)

Don't have overly high expectations. Don't pay premium price (you're not getting an Apple in the deal... just a cheap knock-off). You won't get much customer support. If it has issues, there's no quick and easy return or exchange in most cases. Don't whine and complain too loudly... there's nobody who can do anything about it. (I listed my Eken on Craigslist and sold it at a profit... otherwise I would have been stuck with a barely usable device. )

Finally... welcome to the world of buying cheap Chinese electronics. Take the bad along with the good.