Photo

7 inch Black PDN Q & A (Android 1.5 models)

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#1 majorwest

majorwest

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:12 AM

Does anyone know anything about a Pandigital 7" 4gb memory that is currently on sale at QVC and how it compares to the white/black currently discussed here on the forums?

QVC link  http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.tsv!.CM_SCID.TSV

edit: hmm, not sure why the link I pasted didn't work..it sends you to a camcorder. At any rate, you can type in pandigital in the search box and it should bring up the 4gb PDN.

#2 majorwest

majorwest

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:29 AM

Ok, doing some research around the net and learned this runs Android 1.6.

#3 Zero7

Zero7

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:23 AM

It's discussed here in another thread. It looks like the same BPDN with additional 2GB memory.

#4 majorwest

majorwest

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:53 AM

Can you point me to that thread? I can't seem to bring it up using the search function.

So, does this mean the 4gb version has the same limitations as the BPDN using OPK? How does Android 1.6 compare with BPDN 1.5?

#5 bac522

bac522

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

So, does this mean the 4gb version has the same limitations as the BPDN using OPK? How does Android 1.6 compare with BPDN 1.5?

Yes, it's just the BPDN that has an internal 4GB card instead of a 2GB card. QVC does this type of stuff with products so that consumers can not easily compare the prices on products with other retailers.

#6 majorwest

majorwest

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:27 PM

Yes, it's just the BPDN that has an internal 4GB card instead of a 2GB card. QVC does this type of stuff with products so that consumers can not easily compare the prices on products with other retailers.

So, can we deduce that the open platform kit for the 2gb BPDN will also work on this 4gb version?

#7 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

PDN Wiki Master, Speaker to n00bs

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts
  • Location41.6927560 / -83.5456899

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:48 AM

So, can we deduce that the open platform kit for the 2gb BPDN will also work on this 4gb version?

Only one way to find out.... Keep us posted. 8)

#8 majorwest

majorwest

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:24 AM

Ok, doing a little more research reveals that this new 4gb BPDN is an Open Format version, not a closed system!  :P

Brand new user interface that allows it to perform like a tablet.
You can download apps directly to the device (but not from the Android marketplace).

http://community.qvc...fi-ereader.aspx

#9 bac522

bac522

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:36 AM

An open platform is available for the BPDN. http://www.pandigital.net/android so not surprised they are providing this on the one from QVC.

#10 Bonnie Rivenburg

Bonnie Rivenburg

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:51 AM

I have a pandigital black with the canadian version software which is unlocked.  Can you tell me how to install the apps. Do i have to
download to my computer or can I download directly from the internet and what do I have to do. I downloaded one file and it was
and exe file but I could not find how to do it.  I am new to android products but I learn fast.

Thanks Bonnie

#11 Reimar

Reimar

Mr. Imperfect

• Global Moderators
  • 3,038 posts
  • LocationSamut Prakarn (Thailand)

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:16 AM

Welcome to Slatedroid.

May you likr to first to check the Wiki for the Pandigital devices which will gives you some answers already. If you've further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

#12 vashgs

vashgs

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:42 AM

I purchased the QVC 4GB PDN and it seems as though I'm unable to update the firmware, even through either of the official Pandigital processes. When it begins the update process, it just instantly shuts down. Perhaps the firmware naming conventions are different for this device. Is there anyway to figure out the correct naming, even though Pandigital doesn't currently offer a downloadable version of the firmware or any solution to updating it?

#13 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,267 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

I have a pandigital black with the canadian version software which is unlocked.  Can you tell me how to install the apps. Do i have to
download to my computer or can I download directly from the internet and what do I have to do. I downloaded one file and it was
and exe file but I could not find how to do it.  I am new to android products but I learn fast.

Thanks Bonnie

Hello Bonnie,  Welcome to SlateDroid!  The Canadian BPDN is already unlocked as you have stated.  I do not have your version, so I might suggest your user guide available directly from Pandigital or here:  http://test1.pandigi..._4_09-27-10.pdf

Page 53 tells how to install apps to your device.

#14 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,267 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:53 PM

P.S.  You can try  going  to slideme.org and install their app from your reader's built in browser.  They have some pretty good apps there.

#15 geebekazoo

geebekazoo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:10 PM

You can get both the Slideme.org application cllient (sam.apk) and the AndroidAppStore client (AndAppStoreclient.apk) from the download site in my sig.

#16 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

PDN Wiki Master, Speaker to n00bs

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts
  • Location41.6927560 / -83.5456899

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:36 PM

Unless the FW is clearly labeled for the Black PDN DO NOT INSTALL IT ON THE QVC DEVICE. Even, then, the experimental Black PDN altered firmwares found here have NOT been tested on the 4 gig unit.

Sent from my Hacked PDN TriCorder via Tapatalk

#17 bac522

bac522

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:51 PM

Your trouble upgrading would seem that there is something different about the QVC model but I don't think that's the case...other then memory, the QVC PDN is exactly the same from a specification point of view as the 2GB model. The physical size of the QVC PDN matches exactly with the 2GB black PDN too. I would contact PDN's support and ask them what the deal is with upgrading the unit.

#18 davidr

davidr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:10 PM

The pictures on the QVC website show soft buttons along the bottom rather than the top. Isn't this the same as the Canadian Black PDN? Perhaps the Canadian FW is the correct choice.. just a thought.. I don't know for sure.

#19 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,267 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:47 PM

QVC has the 4gb user guide availale for download on their description page.  http://www.qvc.com/q...te=MAIN_E166635

Looks like the QVC 4gb BPDN is "open to add apps" and (according to page 68 in the user guide) can only be updated with the PC upgrade option at this time.  copy/pasted below:

edit: @vashgs Your FW is probably already the most current if your PDN reboots when you complete the update.

IMPORTANT: This firmware update procedure is only available for Windows PC users at this time. We recommend Mac users to locate a Windows PC that can be used for the firmware update at this time. Mac based update procedures will be available in future.
 If the device has a low battery charge, you may not be able to perform a successful update. It is recommended that you connect the device to the power adapter before performing the firmware upgrade.
1. Back up all your media files to your computer.
2. On your computer, go to www.pandigital.net/downloads.
3. Choose the Update with Your PC option.
4. When prompted, you can either Save the program or Run it from the website. (The Run method may result in a slower process than saving & running the program directly from your computer).
5. Follow the prompts in the Upgrader window to connect your device and install the firmware into your device.
6. After the download is complete, turn your device off.
7. Press the Volume + button and then the power key and hold both approximately 10 seconds until you see the upgrade text appear on the screen, and then release both buttons immediately.
8. Your device updates and restarts automatically.
9. Reset the Date and Time and set up your Wi-Fi network again by following the initial setup instructions beginning on page 13.
10. You must re-download your B&N media to re-populate My Library. When you download the first eBook, you are prompted for your B&N login information.

#20 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,267 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:55 PM

NO! The 4gb version can currently only be updated via pc option at this point.  The user guide is available from QVCs product description page.