• Please log in to reply
439 replies to this topic

#1 PandaBomb

PandaBomb

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationGainesville, GA

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:03 PM

Hello Everyone! Thought I would put together some things to make life a little easier for all of us "Cruz Reader" nubs. Below I have made step-by-step instructions for updating your ROM, Rooting, and Overclocking your VM Cruz Reader. Again, this is only for the Velocity Micro Cruz Reader. This will not work on your Cruz Tablet or anything from Pandigital. YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE! I have personally done everything listed here to my own 2 Cruz Readers with excellent results and very stable.

This Guide is for Windows Users. My Current Setup is Windows 7 Ultimate x64

1. Updating that wimpy stock ROM.

** Before you flash this ROM, flash the stock ROM first. Some users have experienced issues with the device locking up in the boot sequence. **   http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=12820.msg104086#msg104086

I have modified and uploaded the "Macho Cruz" ROM put up by androapps.com. I have removed the annoying boot animation and I have enabled Overclocking in the kernel. It now has the capability to run at 800Mhz (on to that in a bit).

Modified Macho ROM - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SMSBSAUI

First off you need an SD card to update the ROM. Once you have that, put the update file from above in the root of the card, (ie no folder). DO NOT UNZIP THE FILE. LEAVE IT ZIPPED!

Power down your Cruz Reader and insert the SD card with the update on it.

Now here comes the part everyone seems to have trouble with (still trying to figure out why). Press and hold the Voulume Up key on the side. While holding the Volume Up key, Press and hold the Power Key. Keep holding both Keys until you see Andy the Android and a Progress Bar. Now put your Cruz down and have a drink. When the bar is full it will reboot. It takes a while to load up the 1st time so don't panic. When it loads, select "Setup Wizard" when prompted. That's it! Done! Let's move to the next step - ROOTING!

2. Rooting your Cruz wit ADB
  ***See end of post for non ADB alternate root method***

Okay, before you can root your Cruz, you need a few things:

Android SDK - http://developer.and.../sdk/index.html

Java SE SDK - http://www.oracle.co...oads/index.html

Cruz ADB Drivers - http://cruzsupport.v...questionID=858  -Full instructions for install also available here.

Install Java SE SDK, then install the Android SDK to the root of your C: drive (should be C:android-sdk-windows). I usually select all packages for the Android, but its up to you.

Next, install your ADB drivers from VM.

Now, Click Start, right click on Computer and select Properties. Now Click Advanced System Settings, then at the bottom click Environmental Variables. In the bottom box, scroll to Path and add the following line to the end:

;C:android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools;C:android-sdk-windowstools

Click OK and close everything out.

Start the Android Sdk Manager located @ C:android-sdk-windowstools if you have followed directions.

Connect your device via USB.

Now, hold the Windows Key and press R. Type cmd in the box and press Enter.

In the Command window, type

cd /    

and hit enter. Now type

cd android-sdk-windowstools

and hit enter. Now here is where you will begin rooting the device. Type the following

adb shell

hit enter. you should now have a # sign. Type

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

hit enter, then type

cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su

hit enter, then type

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

hit enter, now type

sync

hit enter then finally type

reboot

and hit enter. Your device will reboot. When it comes back on it will be rooted!

3. SetCPU

Now we will download SetCPU and set it up.

SetCPU
- http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F5PK19P4

Extract the .apk file and put in on your SD card. Using Astro, navigate to your SD card and touch the SetCPU apk. Install. It will ask for root permission, I usually select always allow.
Now select the Samsung ARM device. After SetCPU loads, slide the MAX slider all the way up. BOOM! you now have an 800Mhz Cruz Reader! Set the MIN slider to 133Mhz, as sometime the Cruz can have trouble waking from sleep @ 66Mhz.  You can leave scaling @ Conservative and it will raise and lower speed as needed or you can set to Performance to always have 800Mhz available to you at any given time. The latter option lessens battery time.

I hope this post has been informative to all.

*Edit*

Alternate Rooting Method (for those who don't care about ADB access)

Z4Root1.3.0 - http://www.multiuplo...com/AMSSWZL1X3  *Note: You will not have ADB access with this app

"All you have to do is install and run the .apk, chose if you want temporary or permanent root and let it do it's thing." - kxs783kms

Thanks to kxs783kms for the info and bsinclair for the upload.
  • J_S_P and tbower like this

#2 bsinclair

bsinclair

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

Thanks a lot buddy. As for the ADB driver, first enter their support site at:

http://cruzsupport.velocitymicro.com

Then copy and paste this URL on your browser:

http://cruzsupport.v...?questionID=858

#3 superflysocal

superflysocal

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

i am new at  this but stuck at the usb drivers.  i downloaded them an dunzipped.  On my device there is no option to turn on usb debugging, but when i plug in usb cable usb debugging is turned on automatically along with the SD card detection.  however, i never get a screen to pick the adb drivers. what am i doing wrong.  i also do not see any uninstalled device in device manager.

i get an error when i try adb shell

#4 superflysocal

superflysocal

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

after you do all this, are mp4 videos watchable?

#5 bsinclair

bsinclair

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:58 PM

Question, on rooting, this:

yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Have two spaces, one just after yaffs2, and one just before /system. Is this correct?

Another one, is ADB.EXE, it did not come with either sdks (android & java). Do I have to run the SDK Manager?.

#6 wcramernc

wcramernc

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

The ROM install, rooting and overclocking went off without a hitch.  However, now I cannot connect to wifi.  All available networks show up as ___ instead by their SSID.  When I try to connect to the one I think is mine, I cannot connect.  Has anyone run into this?  Is there a fix?

Well...I did find one workaround.  I renamed router's SSID to ___ and it worked fine after that.

But if anyone can figure out a way to make it display all SSID names, I'd like to know.  Thanks!

#7 PandaBomb

PandaBomb

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:15 PM

i am new at  this but stuck at the usb drivers.  i downloaded them an dunzipped.  On my device there is no option to turn on usb debugging, but when i plug in usb cable usb debugging is turned on automatically along with the SD card detection.  however, i never get a screen to pick the adb drivers. what am i doing wrong.  i also do not see any uninstalled device in device manager.

i get an error when i try adb shell

If you see a device in Device Manage labeled Android SDB Device or something of the sort with no errors then you are good to go. Also, Android SDK Manager needs to be running while you are using ADB commands.

Question, on rooting, this:

yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Have two spaces, one just after yaffs2, and one just before /system. Is this correct?

Another one, is ADB.EXE, it did not come with either sdks (android & java). Do I have to run the SDK Manager?.

Yes, there are spaces, and Yes, SDK Manager needs to be running.

after you do all this, are mp4 videos watchable?

I am able to watch them just fine now, as well as YouTube if you DL Skyfire.

The ROM install, rooting and overclocking went off without a hitch.  However, now I cannot connect to wifi.  All available networks show up as ___ instead by their SSID.  When I try to connect to the one I think is mine, I cannot connect.  Has anyone run into this?  Is there a fix?

Well...I did find one workaround.  I renamed router's SSID to ___ and it worked fine after that.

But if anyone can figure out a way to make it display all SSID names, I'd like to know.  Thanks!

I have not experienced this problem personally, sorry. Ther is a Topic on that, I think...

#8 PandaBomb

PandaBomb

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

Edited first post to point to the correct Cruz ADB Driver and Directions to install.

#9 igtheactt

igtheactt

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:15 PM

Wow.. Thanks Panda, already had it rooted and macho installed but now installing this newer version cant wait!!

#10 eware

eware

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

Would any one tell me which Android OS is this? Is it a v2.2 or v2.1 ??

#11 PandaBomb

PandaBomb

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:02 PM

2.0 - Eclair

#12 igtheactt

igtheactt

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

Ok having problems with the recovery recognizing the zip file... Still getting an exclamation mark... I had trouble before when flashing macho rom and for some reason it worked... But now nothing i do helps.. IT JUST WONT WORK

#13 PandaBomb

PandaBomb

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:48 PM

Make sure the file name is EXACTLY this:  PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip

Has to be the same as above or it will not work. Some browsers change the name of the file when downloaded. Chrome is the worst about it.

#14 igtheactt

igtheactt

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:53 PM

Yep using  firefox and the filename is PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip im not sure whats going on... lol wow

#15 kxs783kms

kxs783kms

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

Hi everyone. There's an app that use to be on the Android Market call Z4Modv1.3.0 and it roots just about any Android device.No computer needed to root. I tried it on my Cruz Reader and it rooted it in 2-3 mins. All you have to do is install and run the .apk, chose if you want temporary or permanent root and let it do it's thing. Just a FYI for those who don't want to go through the whole ADB thing. I have the .apk, but if you Google it, I believe you can find it pretty easy on the web. Hope this helps.

#16 PandaBomb

PandaBomb

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:04 PM

Yep using  firefox and the filename is PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip im not sure whats going on... lol wow

I'm not entirely sure what is wrong. All I can say is try formatting the SD, put the zip in the root dir and make sure nothing else is on the card.

#17 kxs783kms

kxs783kms

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:08 PM

To correct myself, it "Z4Root1.3.0" not "Z4Mod."

#18 bsinclair

bsinclair

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:14 PM

Nice find on z4root, it's on xda developers:

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=833953

I uploaded it at http://www.multiupload.com/AMSSWZL1X3

#19 kxs783kms

kxs783kms

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:27 PM

Yeah...you'll be rooted in minutes. Hopefully the OP will add this app in his instructions. This will help out a lot of folks and cut down on a few of the ADB questions.

#20 igtheactt

igtheactt

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:02 PM

Could the fact that my SD card is stuck in write protect mode be the cause of it not flashing? the slider on the side broke off...