Android Tablets Forum banner

Recommendation for a rootable tablet for the kids

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Pneuhaus 
#1 ·
I'm out to buy two tablets for my oldest kids, aged 7 and 5.

The main problem I have is that on mainline tablets, like the one I have, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, I can't control the installed software, and not only certain apps, but also software I can't remove, keeps on nagging me to accept terms I shouldn't, like e.g. S Voice, or lure me into buy stuff. I suppose others are not better, they are out to maximise their profits, of course. I can live with it, but it is unacceptable to expose my kids to that kind of stuff. I don't have much time to install custom ROMs, but if that is what I have to do to stay on the top of it, then I'll do it.

So, primarily, I'm looking for a device with software that doesn't push things on the user, and allows a certain level of parental control, especially with how much time they are allowed to spend using the device. But failing that, something that I can easily install a custom ROM on.

They are certainly going to spend some time playing games, looking at Youtube, etc., but the main reason they are getting it now is that the smallest one should learn writing in a more joyful way than handwriting. And there are medical reasons for that. :) And then, it would be unfair if the older one didn't get it too. The most important activity shouldn't put much strain on the CPU or graphics. All I need is a 9-11" screen, a USB port and Wifi.

So, I'd like to hear your recommendations, are there any not very expensive devices that would work well?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi.

I'm out to buy two tablets for my oldest kids, aged 7 and 5.

The main problem I have is that on mainline tablets, like the one I have, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, I can't control the installed software, and not only certain apps, but also software I can't remove,

With root you can remove those annoying software packages.. Maybe you say you can't because of warranty?

They are certainly going to spend some time playing games, looking at Youtube, etc., but the main reason they are getting it now is that the smallest one should learn writing in a more joyful way than handwriting. And there are medical reasons for that. :) And then, it would be unfair if the older one didn't get it too. The most important activity shouldn't put much strain on the CPU or graphics. All I need is a 9-11" screen, a USB port and Wifi.

So, I'd like to hear your recommendations, are there any not very expensive devices that would work well?

What do you mean by "not very expensive"? That's kind of subjected. When you get into the 9-10 inch tablet size you do see a jump in price. I probably can't really recommend something without asking a bunch of questions, but I can give you some advice. From experience point of view as a parent, and what I went through with my two boys.

They probably won't be multitasking so you don't really need tons of memory. 1gb is the least amount I would ever buy. Those super cheap tablets with 550 or so mb of memory will frustrate your kids, as their games will lockup and freeze on them. ( my experience ) youtube videos will stutter. Eventually they won't even want to use the tablet. If you can afford it look for 2g ddr2/or ddr3, but 1gb ddr2 is ok.

Battery is probably just as important as memory. Anything less than 4000 mAh won't last more than 5 maybe 6 hours running games and videos. TOPS. They never last as long as they say they do. Right now, you're probably saying "that's enough". BUT, the first time they put down the tablet with their game/video/movie still playing and run off to the bathroom and return 30+ minutes later, ect..., or if you plan on taking them in the car on trips or anything like that, you'll be glad you went the extra mile and got one with a little bit more juice.

The screen matters! cheap tablets sometimes have crappy displays.

They're kids. buy the drop and spill. My youngest son says "oops!". a lot. The extended warranty has paid off for us.

Buy something they can use now, that doesn't look like a "baby toy" (there are some cool tablets for kids in all kinds of colors but kids think they're for babies) because they will grow out of it fast and not want it anymore. Especially your 7 yr old. Let them customize their tablets with skins that they can change as they grow instead..

A good tablet will last them a long time if they take care of it. So put a shock resistant cover on it for sure! I let my son pick it out, then he didn't complain when I put it on, and he was a part of the process.

#1 piece of advice... buy a refurbished tablet from a reputable seller and buy the drop and spill. If you're in the states Wal-mart is a great place to start. NO ONE can beat their NO questions asked drop and spill 2 yr. extended warranty. And their refurbished items can be returned if you're not happy. I've bought a few tablets, laptop, and a wireless printer. Can't beat them. They all have looked brand new. AND you get a much better tablet for the money, as they are discounted in price. If you're not in the states try nuegg. They are reputable. I never have bought from them, but know others who have. They offer an extended warranty, don't know about it's pricing though.

PC magazine and Laptop magazine both have a list for recommendations to buy and to avoid.

I'd probably look for a nexus 9 refurbished. Root it. Take out the junk. Put in the kid's stuff and parental controls. Turn off root permissions.

There! way too much of my two cents. And I did recommend one after all!!

#3 ·
one more thing I wanted to add. Tablet screens vary in sizes. Even within the same size category. So not all 9 or 10" screens are the same size. So if you can't see the tablet in person, draw a picture of the actual screen dimension to see it's actual size.

the picture below is a two 8" tablets. You can see the screens vary quite a bit.

36b8c365-e85d-49dd-922c-99334144162e.jpg

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! I tend to think that the Galaxy Tab 3 that we have is too costly. I'm in Norway, and I haven't heard anything about refurbished units being available from any reputable sources here. I have thought of a gig of RAM as the minimum indeed, and give some priority for battery time, as that could be useful sometimes.

Actually, I didn't know that I would gain more control over the installed apps with just rooting, I thought I would need a custom ROM to really get anywhere.

I have looked at the Lenovo IdeaTab A10-70 A7600. It seems to have decent specs for a OK price, but I have read many negative reviews of the software Lenovo has stuffed in there, and I haven't seen any custom ROMs for it. Any similarly priced devices that have a good custom ROM?

#5 ·
You can do what you want to do without a custom rom. There's probably a few around for your galaxy.

The acer Iconia is close to a clone of the Lenovo. Maybe a little smaller battery. But it looks like a decent tablet for the money.

www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/android-tablets/acer-iconia-tab-10-review-3601426/

Here it is listed in Amazon. I'm showing you the listing because towards the bottom of the listing there are 4 somewhat comparable 10" tablets showing side by side specs.

I like the ausu zenpad. It's downside in side by side comparison is it's battery at 4700, it's the smallest of the 3. ( Lenovo, acer, and this ausu). Upside is 2gb ram.

tablets.specout.com/l/1081/Asus-ZenPad-10-Z300C

I'll have to look around for root and roms..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.