Photo

U.S. Galaxy Tab can now make phone calls!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 klown07

klown07

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

Well, I was over at xda last night and 2 people flashed their U.S. Tmobile Galaxy Tabs with a european base rom, then an update one. They relayed back that they can now make phone calls. I decided to jump the gun and try it myself. After flashing only the first Rom, I'd get a black screen after booting up. I panicked for a bit there lol. I then flashed the update rom, and all worked perfectly. I can confirm myself that with a SIM card with the right plan can make and receive phone calls. Awesome. We can also get the Reader Hub and it works. The Music Hub makes a guest appearance but so far doesn't work in the U.S. Sadly, Media Hub is missing. Overall, the Euro firmware seems to work a bit better, and smooth. BUT....there IS a downside. It seems that this somehow takes away your 3g capabilities and you only get EDGE. No browsing the web or Market with Edge. Only WiFi browsing and Market will work. It's a bummer but I initially only got it to use as a play device over WiFi anyhow. I'm sure someone over at XDA, or maybe even here, can find what the problem is exactly, and fix it. Either way this is a really cool development. It is now confirmed the hardware IS there.Let's see if we can get phone capabilities without having to flash another country's firmware :o If anyone is interested in trying this, after you're all done flashing everything, do a factory reset and a cache wipe.

#2 scott.mcmasters

scott.mcmasters

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:22 PM

It pisses me off how they cripple the Tab in the US. Even on mine I can't change the UAString on the default browser. Dolphin is better anyway, even if it crashes a lot, but will the average Joe know to install it to avoid the *shiny mobile sites?Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

#3 klown07

klown07

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:57 PM

I agree, I've been using Dolphin as well. And indeed there are folks out there who aren't so tech savvy

#4 ewinkley

ewinkley

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:20 PM

anyone know how to disable the sprint activation/3g all-together? I don't subscribe to this service and don't want the pop up / interruptions all the time.

#5 klown07

klown07

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:04 PM

I'm on tmobile sorry bud

#6 FreeSCV

FreeSCV

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/mobile/

I wasn't a fan of Dolphin myself. I found Firefox works great on my Samsung Galaxy tablet.

#7 Jkurl

Jkurl

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:09 AM

Yep you can make calls on the us version. I have the T-Mobile tab a.d have a euro rom. They have gingerbread going on now.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

#8 Waxwrong

Waxwrong

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:11 AM

The statement about Edge is definately wrong. I am living in Thailand and have no troble with using the web or market. Youtube doesn't go too well though. I am using an Edge connection right now. BTW - youtube goes ok on telephones using Edge. We don't have 3G here where I live so rely on wifi or 2G(Edge). From limited travel I can say I see little improvement in areas with 3G over Edge - just the cost and a slight speed improvement.
:)