Android Tablets Forum banner

Which Tablet?

6K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Nickos-V 
#1 ·
Hi all!

I would like to buy a tablet from china, but I don't know which to choose.

Size 9.7 - 10.1

This is my list:

Please give me some advice!
I always check out ARM chip first. Then size & aspect ratio I want and finally the brand. That is how I choose which tablet is best for me. I now include resolution since tablets no longer come with just 1024x768 and 1280x800.

Yuandao M10 - RK3188, 10.1", 1920x1200

iFive 3 - RK3188, 9.7", 2048x1536

Onda v975m - M802, 9.7", 2048x1536

iFive X3 - RK3188, 10.1", 1920x1200

First, you have to decide if you like square (9.7") or rectangle (10.1") shape tablet. People will prefer one over the other. That will get rid of half your choices. Go to electronics store and have a look at Android tablet and iPad to see which shape you like better.

Then comes down to chip, brand and tablet look since resolutions are the same.

M802 is better performing chip than RK3188 but v957m tablet appears to be little buggy. It maybe early release of firmware (kernel still needs tweaking?) or might be hardware design issue. Onda is big brand in China so less likely to be hardware problem. You have to decide if better peformance from M802 is worth less stability of RK3188. Good chance Amlogic and Onda can work out the kernel and firmware issues over next 3-4 months but hard to say for sure. So, you decide if worth the risk.

Yuando and iFive are both good brands. I think iFive is somewhat better for looks and firmware updates. I would go with iFive myself for those two reasons. Go with v975m if you want better/faster performance or go with iFive (RK3188) if you want better stability.

Always good to decide on tablet you want to buy and then read forum threads and reviews for that tablet to see what other people have to say about it. Sometimes can change your mind by doing that.

PS,

If you will do lots of (3D) gaming then forget about the 9.7" tablets you have above because their resolutions are super high and will slow things down. 1920x1200 on 10.1" is fairly high resolution too but not as bad 2048x1536.

So, if you do lots of reading, viewing images or watching 1080p video then get 2048x1536 for 9.7" otherwise for lots of gaming get tablet with lower res.

See less See more
#3 ·
@BamaPanda

Agree. RK3288 looks really great. Same thing for A80 but no benches for GPU performance yet. We only know CPU on A80 "should" be super strong.

Just note that original poster does not want to wait for newer ARM chips. He wants tablet now. I understand this feeling since that is exactly how I felt when buying my 1st tablet too. ie. very hard to sit around and wait for better chips to come out when you have no tablet to play with.

With that said, I am really looking forward to both A80 and RK3288 chip releases. Next tablet I buy must have one of following chips: rk3288, A80, MT8135, z37xx. Right now leaning towards A80 but I may switch to rk3288 (or even MT8135). Though I might hold off buying till 4th quarter or buy as early as Easter. Have to see what happens. =)

Only thing that bugs me is they are now doing 2048x1536 for 9.7" and even for 8" tablets. That resolution is way too high for me. I would be good with either 1400x1050 or 1600x1200 for 4:3 tablet. Both of these support 720p video (no down converting) but not 1080p. I only watch 480p and some 720p videos on computers. Some 10.1" tablets at least come with 1920x1200 which I still find a little on the high side but not too bad. ie. resolution is still OK.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have not been looking that closely at ALL the new crop of SOC. They all make great promises. Time will tell!

I have stayed particularly interested in the RK part, as it is going to be used ...(apparently) in the new iFive line; also in Pipo.

So what I am looking at is the whole package, and I am somewhat uncertain about other brands. Example, Teclast may be using the Intel part, but where is their quality. The A80 looks very strong, but again ...is anyone going to be using them that will be as well built as say, a Mini 3, or a Pipo M7.

I was about ready to give up on China tabs till FNF arrived on the scene. Hopefully they can keep it up, and others will follow suit in making a better China tab.

Just an opinion, of course.

#5 ·
These chips are fairly comparable in performance:

Intel Z3XXX, Rockchip RK3288, AllWinner A80 and Tegra 4. All are very good choices for tablet.

I would avoid Intel Z3XXX unless using Windows on the tablet because x86 seems to be worse for battery over ARM chips.

#7 ·
BamaPanda, sounds good. Have fun with your new tablet!

Cube had kind of bad quality control with the U30GT. I hope you have a better experience with the Talk 9X.

I actually thought you might have bought Talk 9X because of IGZO display. It gives lower power use with still images & text. Up to 57% less power used. Also, brighter display with better contrast. So far I've only found 3 China tablets claiming to have IGZO. Cube Talk 9X is one of them and Teclast has 2 tablets with IGZO. IGZO is nice feature to have. IGZO is the next big thing for tablets and smartphones.

rk3288 and A80 would have been better choices for 3D gaming. I'm going to wait for A80 to make sure it's finalized and then wait for more tablet choices. I don't want to beta test out new tablets. ie. wait 2-3 months for China makers to work out the bugs first on A80 tablets

For an idea and comparison see 3dmark ranking below. The 3D scoring only matters for people that want to get the best 3D gaming experience today.

3Dmark tablet + smartphone ranking:

#111: Onda V989 (A80)

#127: Pipo P1 (RK3288)

#180: Onda 975M (M802)

#245: Talk 9X (MTK8392)

The best features about the Talk 9X are that it has 3G (wide support for protocols), GPS and IGZO display. This tablet still seems to use nand flash from what I can tell instead of eMMC. ie. much slower use of internal drive (ROM).

Very few China tablets include 3G + GPS. Can tether or dongle but nicer to have these built in. Only Talk 9X and 2 Teclast tablets have IGZO. I expect to see more tablets with IGZO but could take 1 up to 2 more years for it to happen.

#8 ·
The Talk 9X should serve you well as long as you are a light to moderate 3D gamer. But you'll be kind of disappointed with this tablet if you're a moderate to heavy 3D gamer.

Later,

#9 ·
I do hope cube has improved with the 9x as well.

As for gaming ...nothing heavy. I am buying it mainly to use in business, and because of some reviews I have read regarding it as the best built tab out there now. Of course ...that is just one man's opinion, of course.

Still, it does look to be on the cutting edge as for it's build ....which does look to be on par with some of the newer Teclast, iFive and Ramos with this new type construction that one does not get into very easily. I expect it will be a lot stouter and better than my Pipo M8 Pro.

Time will tell. I am excited to get a product so thin and the same size as my Pipo, but with a bigger screen.

#10 ·
I do hope cube has improved with the 9x as well.

As for gaming ...nothing heavy. I am buying it mainly to use in business, and because of some reviews I have read regarding it as the best built tab out there now. Of course ...that is just one man's opinion, of course.
This person seems to really love his U65GT (Talk 9X). He previously had Pipo M6 Pro and says U65GT is way better for him.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?14471-Pipo-P1-and-P8-tablets-with-RK3288&p=211588&viewfull=1#post211588

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?14471-Pipo-P1-and-P8-tablets-with-RK3288&p=213142&viewfull=1#post213142

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?14471-Pipo-P1-and-P8-tablets-with-RK3288&p=213183&viewfull=1#post213183

4X faster 3G. Better WiFi reception. Stable firmware with lttile to no bugs. Likely from using Mediatek chip.

Not to worry. Cube should have improved since the U30GT days or else they would have gone out of business. =)

9X tablet should be great for business use and very good for 3D gaming too. Have fun with it! Later,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.