• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 fvalica

fvalica

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:31 AM

The following steps will change the current Status Bar icons (top row in image below) to a more basic black-gradient scheme (bottom row) and remove the 'No Signal' icon:

Attached File  Mockup.jpg   16.67KB   171 downloads
In the mockup above, the Volume Down (-) key is being pressed. I created these icons based on the look/feel of other icons in the Android set, please feel free to modify/use them as you want.

The following steps work for the 1030 firmware, but I don't see why they wouldn't work for older/newer versions:

• Download the attached "FV_StatusBarIcons_Black_v1.zip" and unzip.
  • on the tablet, copy /system/framework/framework-res.apk to your computer.
  • Keep one copy as backup, and rename a second copy to framework-res.zip
  • Navigate inside framework-res.zip to resdrawable-mdpi, WITHOUT extracting the file. WinRAR and the built-in Windows ZIP utility can do this.
  • Copy all the icons you would like to replace from FV_StatusBarIcons_Black_v1 to drawable-mdpi, clicking Yes when asked to replace existing files
  • Rename framework-res.zip to framework-res.apk and copy to the root directory of your tablet's SD Card
  • Connect to your tablet via ADB and type the following:

adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
cd sdcard
busybox cp -R framework-res.apk /system/framework/
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
sync
reboot

• The tablet will reboot, but may stay at the black screen after you see the ANDROID text. Reset the tablet.
  • The icon set should now be properly installed.

Other info:
  • You cannot make this change using Root Explorer, or using ADB without unmounting the system image first. It will not complete the replacement and the tablet will get stuck on startup. I haven't been able to fix this without re-flashing, since we don't have a recovery partition. You don't need to re-flash user data.
  • Many of the Android icons on the status bar are 25 x 25 and the system stretches them to fit; the "XP Style" icons that were created by ZT are 48 x 48. In the future it would be good to replace all the smaller icons with larger versions.
  • Do not unzip framework-res unless you have a backup, or you know how to re-sign it. Curiously, just unzipping and re-zipping the same file (without making changes) changed the file size from 4,191KB to 2,361KB. I couldn't successfully re-sign the apk so this is one workaround.
  • If you use a 3G dongle, you obviously may not want to replace the no signal icon. However, I think it should still show bars 1 to 4, and nothing if there is no signal. This is a rough hack, obviously the better way of doing this is to remove the call to the icon in the first place. The blank space doesn't bother me,  but this guide may help if someone wants to figure it out: [MOD][FINAL] UPDATED! Remove Status Bar Icons (Loc/Battery/Clock/Alarm) - xda-developers
  • The following series of commands also do not work; I couldn't get any variation of ADB push to work:
adb reboot recovery
adb remount
adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk
adb shell reboot

What is interesting in the above scenario is that when the tablet reboots it just sits there (black screen) since there is no recovery partition. However, the tablet remains responsive to terminal commands, I just couldn't get ADB to push to it successfully.

If anyone has a way of doing this more elegantly, please let me know. It seems like I've tried all the ways of not doing it properly - I lost track of how many times I had to re-flash my tablet tonight. It would be so much easier if these tablets had a recovery partition.

Attached File  FV_StatusBarIcons_Black_v1.zip   26.75KB   80 downloads

Edited by fvalica, 27 March 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#2 alessio2

alessio2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:08 AM

That's some really nice job.This will be my next modification ;)

#3 The Omen

The Omen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:51 AM

ADB push/pull has never worked over USB but works fine over Wifi and LAN.I'll give this a try too, thanks. I will probably just use the remount command and push/pull over LAN or Wifi.Thanks for this.You could probably create a batch file menu similar to RPM's Script if you wanted to make it truly elegant. :)

#4 m1st3r_m0nk3y

m1st3r_m0nk3y

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:35 AM

I wonder if it is possible for Zenithink to combine this with their next ROM? It would practically complete the tablet!

#5 Mr_Nick666

Mr_Nick666

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:29 AM

I like the idea of user definable icons! :)

#6 fvalica

fvalica

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:57 AM

[quote name='The Omen;90927]ADB push/pull has never worked over USB but works fine over Wifi and LAN.I'll give this a try too' date=' thanks. I will probably just use the remount command and push/pull over LAN or Wifi.Thanks for this.You could probably create a batch file menu similar to RPM's Script if you wanted to make it truly elegant. :)[/QUOTE'] Funny you should say that, initially I modified the RPM Script to make these changes as I thought it would be pretty simple. I connected ADB via WIFI for all the above commands, but had the following issues:1. Push worked, pull didn't (it wasn't finding the file)2. Even after sending a adb remount command, the tablet would hang on the push, never completing the transfer. A restart after that would freeze the tablet. It's certainly possible I was doing something wrong though. I don't remember if I consistently unplugged the USB after establishing the wireless link. If you get it to work via ADB remount, ADB push, please let me know. I also couldn't find a way to re-sign the .apk via the command line, or compress/uncompress it. I found some tools but I couldn't get them to work properly.

#7 Meridroid

Meridroid

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:49 AM

My next mod as well! Would it be possible to spread the icons out a bit (put more space between each icon), my fingers keep touching the wrong one.----Edit-------I just remembered, is there a way to disable the "waiting for signal" connections to the hardware as well? When I get a low battery warning, the second largest user of battery power (aside from the system itself) seems to be some remnant of the OS polling for signal on hardware that doesn't have a cell phone. This last time it listed it as being 29% of what drained the battery.I keep my wifi off as this is primarily an e-book reader for me, so I think this would help too. (I realise that the icons aren't related to the actual actions of the OS, but I thought that maybe it would be better to ask here than start a new thread)

#8 Apocalips

Apocalips

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:15 AM

cool!! Thank you! Can you add black notification bar like this?

#9 Apocalips

Apocalips

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:17 AM

[REQ] Black Notification Bar for eclairOG rom - Page 2 - xda-developers [BlackBar Mod - eclairOG1.0-1.2]

#10 m1st3r_m0nk3y

m1st3r_m0nk3y

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:44 PM

[*]Many of the Android icons on the status bar are 25 x 25 and the system stretches them to fit; the "XP Style" icons that were created by ZT are 48 x 48. In the future it would be good to replace all the smaller icons with larger versions.

Perhaps someone should forward this to Zenithink? I'm being an idiot here but does the tablet need to be rooted for this to work?

#11 omarahum

omarahum

Zenithink Tablet User / Information Transmitter

• Global Moderators
  • 6,527 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:09 PM

Perhaps someone should forward this to Zenithink? I'm being an idiot here but does the tablet need to be rooted for this to work?

As far as I know, you need to be rooted to access any system files....

#12 fvalica

fvalica

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

[quote name='Meridroid;91019]My next mod as well! Would it be possible to spread the icons out a bit (put more space between each icon)' date=' my fingers keep touching the wrong one.[/QUOTE'] As far as I know, this has to be done by editing services.jar and I haven't played with that yet. I think simply making the icon larger won't do much since the tablet is stretching the png files to fit a specific area. If you want, you can try resizing one to fit double the width (96 px) and keep the height the same (48 px). Let us know if that works![quote name='Meridroid;91019]I just remembered' date=' is there a way to disable the "waiting for signal" connections to the hardware as well?[/QUOTE']Hmm I don't know anything about this; I'm a newbie when it comes to editing files for Android.[QUOTE=Apocalips;91356]cool!! Thank you! Can you add black notification bar like this?[/QUOTE] That involves making changes to services.jar as well and re-signing it, and I haven't experimented with it much. Also, that would mean remaking icons for a black bar at 48 x 48 px. The current icon set has a white border and uses a lot of black and wouldn't look good on a black bar. The other option is to find a pre-made icon set designed for a black bar, and reuse it for our tablets. The catch is most icons I've seen, including the ones you linked to, are sized for a phone (25 x 25 px). They would come out as blurry; the current battery, WIFI icons, notification bar icons, etc, are 25 x 25 now and the tablet stretches them to fit. Also, I don't like reusing other people's work without permission, so I would probably want to make them myself. Short story: It's very possible but I don't have the time right now to create a completely new status bar and notification bar icon set and learn about services.jar (and how to sign files), especially since the white notification bar doesn't bother me as much. The XP style icons were a sore spot for me. If you really want it done, maybe you could take it up as a side project? What I did here isn't that difficult and I had almost zero knowledge of Android internals before I started. It took me about 6-7 hours start to finish to create the icons and successfully push them to the tablet. A majority of this time was wasted on figuring out how to sign the .apk (never got that to work) and troubleshooting unsuccessful pushes and re-flashes.Good luck and let us know how it goes!

#13 xskip2mylou

xskip2mylou

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

After reboot it still stays at the black screen with the ANDROID.txt even after reset. Can this be fixed???

#14 scrolless

scrolless

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

Hi I tried downloading the zip but Firefox says the attachment was not found. Tried with Chrome and got the error as well. Would someone be nice enough to upload the file again? :)

#15 Apocalips

Apocalips

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:10 AM

404 - Attachment Not Found

Somebody  can upload these files again please??

#16 fvalica

fvalica

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

Sorry guys, been away for awhile. I've edited the 1st post and re-uploaded the files. I've only tested this up to 1130 and I haven't had a chance to flash to the newest firmware yet. I would imagine the process is the same though.

#17 Apocalips

Apocalips

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:49 AM

Thanks! I`m going to test it on 2.2 firmware ;)

#18 scrolless

scrolless

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:47 AM

Thanks fvalica for re-uploading! I pm-ed you since my previous post and had been waiting for you to reply since then. Thanks again :)

#19 scrolless

scrolless

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:45 AM

Okay it works on 1204 *applauds* Changing the icons really made a huge difference! No more XP look.

Something interesting that happened was that upon the busybox command, the tablet rebooted itself before I could finish typing the next one.
And then the black icons are in place already, there's no hard reset required now ;)

#20 spachal

spachal

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationKarlovy Vary

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

Also working on 1204, thanks! The only 'problem' was reboot after settings readonly attribute, before sync .. but it seems to be OK :]